How to properly use onion juice for medicinal purposes
Onions are popular not only in cooking, but also in folk medicine. The juice obtained from it contains many useful components that have a beneficial effect on health. It is used to treat diseases and in cosmetology. In the article we will tell you in detail about the benefits and dangers of onion juice.
The content of the article
- Onion juice composition
- Useful properties of onion juice
- Application of onion juice
- How much onion juice can be consumed without harm to health
- Possible harm and contraindications
- Onion Juice Recipes and Application Schemes
Onion juice composition
Onion juice contains many biologically active components. Among them are phenols and flavonoids - natural antioxidants, phytoncides, which have anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects.
Concentration of vitamins in 100 g of product:
- A - 2.0 IU;
- C - 7.4 mg;
- PP - 0.1 mg;
- E - 0.02 mg;
- B4 (choline) - 6.1 mg;
- K - 0.4 μg;
- B6 - 0.12 mg
- folic acid and its derivatives - 19.0 μg;
- pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) - 0.1 mg;
- betaine (amino acid) - 0.1 mg.
Concentration of macro- and microelements per 100 g:
- calcium - 23 mg;
- iron - 0.2 mg;
- potassium - 146 mg;
- sodium - 4 mg;
- chromium - 2 mcg;
- selenium - 0.5 mcg;
- zinc - 0.2 mg;
- magnesium - 10 mg;
- manganese - 0.1 mg;
- copper - 0.039 mg;
- phosphorus - 29 mg;
The product also contains:
- essential oils;
- the polysaccharide inulin;
- organic acids;
- sugar (fructose, sucrose, maltose).
100 g of product contains 23 kcal.
Reference. The energy value of onion juice is low, which makes it possible to use it in dietary nutrition.
Useful properties of onion juice
Onion drink has the following medicinal properties:
- anti-inflammatory and antiseptic;
- antimicrobial and antiparasitic;
- decongestant, etc.
Due to the content of fiber, enzymes, inulin, onion drink stabilizes metabolic processes. Regular use of the product stimulates the digestive glands, activates the gastrointestinal tract. It helps to cleanse the body, eliminate constipation, flatulence, and bloating.
Onion juice reduces blood cholesterol levels, its antiseptic properties prevent the development of pathogenic microflora in the digestive tract.
For allergic reactions
Onions, a natural antihistamine, are used against allergies. The drink is taken internally or externally. Local application for insect bites is widespread - lotions eliminate swelling, itching, redness, and accelerate wound healing.
Attention! Effective use of the product against cold allergy. If, after coming from frost, the skin itches, turns red, flakes and cracks, it is advisable to combine onion juice with honey and treat the affected areas.
For the skeletal system
Onion juice prevents osteoporosis. Calcium and other minerals in the drink prevent the destruction of bone tissue, strengthen the skeleton.
The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of the product are used to relieve the symptoms of gout and arthritis. In this case, it is applied topically in the form of lotions.
Reduces blood sugar
Chromium in onion juice lowers blood glucose levels.In this case, the product is consumed in courses. This property is used for the prevention and treatment of diabetes.
For the cardiovascular system
Onions are included in the list of foods that lower blood cholesterol levels. It has a beneficial effect on blood vessels, prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thrombosis. Sulfur, chromium, B vitamins, antioxidants in onion juice strengthen the cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Important! Onion juice reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Fights cancer cells
Due to the content of antioxidants (quercetin), sulfides, onion drink slows down the aging process, reduces the risk of developing oncopathologies. The product is useful for the prevention of cancer of the larynx, esophagus, intestines, kidneys, breast, prostate.
When losing weight
Onion drink activates metabolic processes, which allows you to burn fat faster. A small amount of a product is useful to include in the diet when losing weight, but it should not be consumed on an empty stomach. This will cause inflammation of the lining of the gastrointestinal tract.
Attention! Onion juice improves the motility of the digestive system, eliminates constipation.
The antiseptic properties of onion juice are used to sanitize the oral cavity. The product prevents the development of infectious processes, caries, and the formation of dental calculus. Minerals in its composition have a general strengthening effect on the gums and teeth.
A side effect of rinsing is bad breath, so the procedure is recommended to be performed at night.
Onion juice is widely used in cosmetology to treat weakened hair and improve skin condition. The product is used topically in the form of masks, lotions, tonics. The juice restores and strengthens damaged hair, prevents hair loss. Local application of the product on the skin of the face enhances blood circulation in the tissues, disinfects, whitens and nourishes the treated area.
The onion drink has a beneficial effect on male potency, significantly increases sexual activity, which is why it was forbidden to use it in monasteries. The product improves sperm quality, testosterone production. The juice prevents prostatitis and impotence.
For the treatment of gynecological pathologies, onion juice is used locally and internally. Drinking a drink is useful for normalizing the menstrual cycle, during menopause - for the prevention of osteoporosis. Locally, the agent is used to treat erosion and inflammation of the cervix, soaking a tampon with juice.
During pregnancy, the product becomes a source of folic acid, which is necessary for the proper formation of the fetus. For constipation, the drink will help cleanse the intestines.
Application of onion juice
The most useful is considered to be freshly squeezed onion vegetable juice. It is recommended to use the product within 6-8 hours after preparation. An exception is alcohol tincture - it retains its healing properties for a long time. Broths and infusions are used within 24 hours after preparation.
Cosmetics made from onion juice are used for:
- hair loss treatment, structure restoration, strengthening, growth acceleration;
- elimination of freckles, age spots, warts;
- skin nutrition;
- fight against acne, acne;
- elimination of calluses, corns;
- accelerate the healing of bruises, scratches, abscesses.
To enhance the therapeutic effect, the use of onion juice inside is combined with its local use.
In folk medicine
Indications for using onion juice:
- colds and their accompanying symptoms (runny nose, cough, sore throat);
- urolithiasis disease;
- kidney pathology, accompanied by edema;
- candidiasis of the digestive tract, oral cavity;
- helminthic invasion;
- allergies, including insect bites;
- dysfunction of the digestive system, accompanied by bloating, constipation, flatulence;
- headache, toothache;
- hypertension, atherosclerosis;
- gynecological pathologies (thrush, erosion of the cervix);
- decreased sexual activity in men;
The use of an onion drink increases the effectiveness of the medication treatment... It is advisable to use the product for the prevention of diseases.
How much onion juice can be consumed without harm to health
In the absence of a person's contraindications to the intake of onion juice, there are no restrictions on the amount of use. However, it is not recommended that a single dose of the drink exceed 50 ml (fresh).
It is believed that eating 100 g of onions per day covers the body's daily need for essential minerals and vitamins. This corresponds to 2 small onions. It is not recommended to consume more than 7 vegetables per week.
Attention! When using the juice for the first time (internal and external), it is better to limit yourself to a small amount in order to check if there is an individual intolerance to the product. This is especially true for children. When instilling onion juice into the nose from a cold, it is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1.
Possible harm and contraindications
Onion juice should not be used if:
- gastritis and ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract;
- irritable bowel syndrome;
- individual intolerance;
- exacerbation of liver pathologies.
Contraindications are due to the risk of irritation of the mucous membranes, the development of inflammatory processes, the appearance of itching, burning. It is recommended to consult your doctor before using the product. Treatment with onion juice is contraindicated for children under 3 years of age.
Onion Juice Recipes and Application Schemes
To obtain an effective result, it is important to prepare the drink correctly:
- chop the vegetable in a meat grinder, blender or grater;
- squeeze the pulp through cheesecloth.
For the preparation of medicinal and cosmetic products, the juice of 1-2 bulbs is enough.
Hair strengthening mask:
- Combine 40 ml of beer and 20 ml of onion juice.
- Rub the composition into the scalp and wait half an hour. Then wash off the mask.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week for 2 months.
Nourishing face mask:
- Combine onion juice and liquid honey in the same ratio, mix.
- Apply the product to the face and wait 20 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with warm water.
Acne & Acne Tonic:
- Combine onion juice, fresh yeast and milk in equal proportions.
- Wipe the affected skin with tonic daily, morning and evening.
In folk medicine
- 10 Art. l. combine onion juice with 20 tbsp. l. honey.
- Consume 2-3 tsp three times a day.
To reduce pressure:
- Squeeze the juice from 3 kg of onion, add 500 g of honey and 30 membranes from walnuts.
- Pour 500 ml of vodka into the mixture.
- Insist 10 days in a darkened room.
- With an increase in pressure, take 1 tbsp. l. funds three times a day.
- Boil 2 liters of water, after cooling, squeeze the juice of 2 onions into it.
- Add 3 bunches of chopped parsley and the juice of 3 lemons.
- Stir and leave for 2-3 hours.
- Divide the product into 5-6 doses and drink throughout the day. The course of therapy is 3 days.
It is interesting:
The onion drink has an impressive list of medicinal properties, which is why it is widely used in cosmetology and folk medicine. However, the use of the product for the treatment of diseases is allowed only in the absence of contraindications. It is recommended to use onion juice in combination with drug therapy. This will increase its effectiveness and speed up recovery.