Is it possible to eat onions with type 2 diabetes mellitus: benefits and harms, consumption rates
Onions are a vegetable with a rich chemical composition and numerous beneficial properties. It is actively used not only in food preparation, but also in alternative medicine recipes. As a natural antibiotic, onions have been shown to help treat many different diseases, including type 2 diabetes. The main thing is not to abuse the product and use it in accordance with medical recommendations, otherwise you can harm your health.
The content of the article
Onion composition and properties
The vegetable is 86% water... With a sufficient amount of sugars and carbohydrates, it contains almost no fiber, organic acids, fats, starch, proteins and pectin.
The chemical formula contains:
- zinc - 0.85 mg;
- copper - 85 mcg;
- chromium - 2 mcg;
- boron - 200 mcg;
- aluminum - 400 mcg;
- rubidium - 476 mcg;
- iron - 0.8 mg;
- iodine - 3 mcg;
- manganese - 0.23 mg;
- fluorine - 31 μg;
- nickel - 3 mcg;
- cobalt - 5 mcg;
- sulfur - 65 mg;
- potassium - 175 mg;
- calcium - 31 mg;
- sodium - 4 mg;
- phosphorus - 58 mg;
- magnesium - 14 mg;
- chlorine - 25 mg;
- vitamin PP - 0.2 mg;
- B1 - 0.05 mg;
- B2 - 0.02 mg;
- B5 - 0.1 mg;
- B6 - 0.1 mg;
- B9 - 9 mcg;
- E - 0.2 mg;
- C - 10 mg.
The composition of biochemical elements in onions varies - this is influenced by climatic conditions, the soil on which the vegetable is grown, agrotechnical characteristics and the variety.
The nutritional value:
- disaccharides and monosaccharides - 8.1 g;
- carbohydrates - 8.2 g;
- fats - 0.2 g;
- proteins - 1.4 g;
- ash - 1 g;
- organic acids - 0.2 g;
- dietary fiber - 3 g;
- starch - 0.1 g;
- water - 86 g;
- calorie content - 41 kcal.
Interesting on the site:
Benefit and harm
In alternative medicine, there are many recipes based on onion juice, decoctions, pulp.A vegetable has many positive properties:
- has an anthelmintic effect;
- being a natural antibiotic, it kills bacteria, germs and fungi;
- has a diuretic effect;
- normalizes the production of digestive juice;
- allows you to get rid of mental and nervous stress.
A negative reaction of the body is observed with excessive use of the product - exacerbation of gastrointestinal, liver and kidney diseases, increased blood pressure.
It is interesting! In ancient Egypt, it was believed that the bow was able to give eternal life. It was put into the ears or eye sockets of the pharaohs.
Can you eat onions for type 2 diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes most often develops in people who are overweight... Pathology is characterized by insufficient absorption of glucose with normal or excessive production of insulin.
Attention! Type 2 diabetes develops gradually and is almost asymptomatic.
A special diet is recommended for patients... There are a number of permitted and even mandatory products, including onions.
Its glycemic index averages 15... For different varieties of vegetables, processed and fresh, the indicators range from 10 to 20 units.
Since the second type diabetes mellitus characterized by low sensitivity of cells to insulin, the intake of chromium-containing products is required... The mineral increases the sensitivity level and improves the absorption of sugar. Onions contain a sufficient amount of this element - 2 μg per 100 g.
Chromium helps to lower blood sugar, decrease the amount of triglycerides (fats) in the blood.
Onion consumption rates for disease
Onions are a product that requires strict dosage at the reception... For a person diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the daily dose should not be higher than 150 g. When using a decoction of husks, it is allowed to take up to 0.5 liters. To improve its taste, it is recommended to dilute it with regular tea.
If the broth is taken as a medicine, they drink it from 14 to 28 days, followed by a monthly break. Then the course is repeated.
In what form is it better to eat
You can eat a vegetable in any form, but better to bake.
Beneficial for diabetics:
- Shallot... Has a delicate and mild taste, fragrant aroma. Additionally, it has anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Onion... Natural antibiotic, improves the functioning of the endocrine system, removes toxins, cholesterol. Feathers have a high level of antioxidants and carotene.
- Leek... It does not have a strong aroma, is rich in minerals and vitamins, and has a positive effect on the circulatory system.
- Batun... Contains much more vitamin C than onions - 27 mg versus 10 mg. The rest of the properties are the same. Only feathers are eaten.
Traditional medicine for type 2 diabetes
There are dozens of effective recipes to lower blood sugar... The vegetable is prepared in different ways.
- Peel and cut 5 medium-sized onions. Grease the slices with sunflower oil (or olive oil), salt, place in a mold, cover with foil and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- A large onion is washed and, along with the husk, is placed in the oven for half an hour. This baking method is considered ideal. Sugar decreases quickly: results are visible after 2-3 days.
- The vegetable is peeled and placed in a microwave oven whole for about 5-7 minutes. The finished product does not taste bitter, does not emit a specific smell, and is soft. It is recommended to consume one onion per day.
- Peel 4-5 onions, chop finely and pour 1.5 liters of boiled cooled water. Drink 1/3 tbsp. 3 times a day for 20 minutes. before meals Course - 14 days once a year. Every day 1 tbsp is added to the jar. boiled water.
- Chop a small onion, pour 1 tbsp. water and leave overnight. Strain in the morning, add 1 tbsp. l. buckwheat flour, mix. Drink during the day before meals.
0.5 l of onion juice pour 0.5 l of alcohol 96%... Take every day for a month for 1 tbsp. l., diluted with ½ tbsp. water. After a month's break, repeat the course of treatment.
A handful of husks are thrown into 1 liter of boiling water and boiled for about 10 minutes... After cooling, the broth is filtered. They drink between meals 2-3 times a day for ¼ st.
Take a note:
It is not recommended to use onions and use the products prepared from it when:
- individual intolerance;
- allergic reactions;
- heart failure;
- intestinal and stomach ulcers;
- diseases of the kidneys and liver.
Diabetics who have taken onions for health purposes, note a pleasant taste and a lasting healing effect.
Anna: “Diabetes mellitus type II was discovered just a year ago. Besides the usual treatment, there are always baked onions on my table. It really helps keep sugar in line. ".
Inna: “I always bake onions in the oven completely in the skins. And the taste is pleasant, and the effect is much better than from a peeled and cut vegetable. And it's not difficult ".
Svetlana: “Once a year I drink onion infusion with the permission of my doctor. As for the baked vegetable, I almost always have it in my diet. Since the beginning of the additional treatment and the onion diet, I began to feel much better ".
In type 2 diabetes, onions improve the absorption of glucose by the cells of the body. The daily norm is 150 g. However, the vegetable has a number of contraindications. Among them are gastrointestinal diseases in the acute stage, asthma, heart failure, etc.Before starting treatment, be sure to consult with your doctor.