Choosing an onion dressing in spring and applying it correctly to get a rich harvest
Onions are unpretentious crops, but they need proper care for good yields. It is necessary to take care of fertilizing the onion even when planting it. If the crop is being planted for the first time in a new location, it is best to prepare the soil in advance.
The content of the article
- Why feed onions in spring
- How to feed onions in spring
- How to properly feed onions
- Fertilization chart
- Fertilizing the soil when planting onions in spring
- How to feed winter onions in spring
- What fertilizers to use so that the onion is large
- Tips on the topic
Why feed onions in spring
In the spring, feeding onions is simply necessary. The soil often lacks nutrients that the vegetable needs for normal growth, resistance to diseases and pests.
Of particular importance is the feeding of the crop, if the onion grown on the pen. There will simply not be a good green mass of feathers if the vegetable does not get enough nitrogen. It is he who affects the growing season and is important at the very beginning of growth, and the amount that is in the soil is not enough.
Potassium is also important for onions in spring. The immune system of the vegetable, its resistance to pests and diseases depends on it. The greatest need for this fertilizer appears during the formation of bulbs and their further growth.
Without phosphorus, you will not be able to get a rich harvest either. It is necessary throughout the entire growth of the vegetable, so feeding is carried out several times.
When to feed onions
Fertilizers are applied three times throughout the growing season. This is usually enough for good greens at the beginning of growth and high yields at the end:
- The first time the onion is fed immediately after the appearance of green shoots. The main component is nitrogen.
- The second feeding is carried out already 2 weeks after the first. The main component is phosphorus, as onions constantly need it.
- The third time the culture is fed at the initial stage of bulb growth. Usually this moment comes 2-3 weeks after the second feeding. The fertilizer must contain potassium, it is extremely important for the growth of the onion head.
In some cases, it is recommended to fertilize the soil even before planting a vegetable. This is especially important if the onion is grown for the first time in a new plot and there is no data on soil fertility. If there is confidence in the quality of the soil and it is regularly saturated with fertilizers, it is not necessary to prepare the soil.
How to feed onions in spring
Fertilizers are applied depending on the purpose of growing onions. If a vegetable grows on a feather, it needs more nitrogen. When onions are grown per head, fertilizers should include more potassium and phosphorus. The best option is a combination of mineral-based preparations with organic matter.
Onions are fed with these fertilizers in moderation, since a large amount of minerals can lead to the accumulation of nitrates in the vegetable.
The most popular formulations include:
- potassium: potassium nitrate, potassium chloride, potassium magnesium and potassium salt;
- nitrogen: urea, ammophos, ammonium nitrate, ammonium carbonate are most often chosen;
- phosphoric: precipitate, nitroammofosku, tomoslag, phosphate rock, superphosphate.
These fertilizers have a great effect on soil fertility, but they should not be concentrated. Organics are always diluted before use. Fertilizers include:
- wood ash;
- bird droppings;
A large assortment of complex fertilizers for onions is on sale.Use them according to the attached instructions. The most popular fertilizers created to meet all the needs of onions during the growing season:
- "Clear sheet";
To feed the culture, they use folk methods that are environmentally friendly, economical and affordable. Most often used:
- baker's yeast;
- infusions of nettle, woodlice, chamomile, milkweed, dandelion, burdock, comfrey, reed or clover.
Many gardeners choose this particular feeding option due to the availability of raw materials.
How to properly feed onions
The wrong feeding system will not only not be beneficial, but also harm the seedlings. Therefore, in order to get a good harvest, it is necessary not only to apply fertilizers in a timely manner, but also to observe some nuances:
- Manure for feeding onions is used only after roasting. The reaction to the fresh will be negative.
- Do not over-apply organic fertilizers. The onions will not form a turnip, but will build up green mass.
- Organic food should be of good quality so that weed seeds are not added to the soil.
In order for mineral fertilizers to be beneficial, you must:
- be sure to observe the dosage;
- breed them in warm water;
- use non-food utensils;
- if the drug gets on greens, rinse it with running water;
- water the onion before using fertilizer to avoid scalding the roots;
- increase dosage if the soil is too light and sandy;
- reduce the dosage when planting onions in clay, heavy soil;
- reduce the amount of mineral products by a third if they are mixed with organic matter.
When using folk remedies, it is important to make the right solution. Ammonia perfectly revives the culture if the feathers start to turn yellow. In 5 liters of water dissolve 1.5 tbsp. l. means and the finished fertilizer is poured over the vegetable.
Baker's yeast promotes the absorption of other elements and improves the microflora of the soil. This fertilizer is applied 1 time at the very beginning of the growing season. Usually use 100 g of yeast, 1 tbsp. ash and 50 g of sugar. All components are poured with a bucket of water and left for 2 hours.
Important! Any fertilizers are applied only at the root. Do not allow contact with greens or the onion itself. You can spill solutions into the aisles - this will avoid plant burns.
Timely feeding of the crop allows you to get a good harvest and avoid diseases during the growth period. Nutrient deficiencies and excess nutrients should not be tolerated. When and what fertilizers to apply:
- The very first top dressing includes nitrogen and phosphorus. Such fertilizers are applied approximately 2 weeks after planting. During this period, the first greens appear.
- Re-fertilization occurs at the end of April or beginning of May. It is made 14-20 days after the first one. The main components are potassium and phosphorus, there should be very little nitrogen to avoid excessive feather growth.
- For the third time, only the phosphorus-potassium solution is added. It is necessary to feed the culture after the appearance of 4 feathers or when the bulb reaches 4 cm in diameter.
Proper feeding of onions allows them to develop well throughout their growth, which leads to high productivity. Vegetable heads become large and dense by the time of harvest.
Fertilizing the soil when planting onions in spring
Fertile soil allows seedlings to fully grow and develop immediately from the moment of planting. The soil has been prepared since autumn. The choice of fertilizer depends on the soil itself, its fertility and density. Any top dressing is brought under digging, usually the earth is dug to the depth of the shovel bayonet.
How to fertilize the soil when planting (per 1 sq. M):
- Sand (9 kg), humus (6 kg), peat (5 kg), urea (15 g) are added to clayey heavy soil.
- Loamy soil is fertilized with humus (6 kg), urea (15 g), superphosphate (40 g), peat (6 kg).
- Peaty poor soil is enriched with superphosphate (50 g), humus (6 kg), sand (10 kg), urea (8 g).
- Loamy soil (10 kg), humus (5 kg), lowland peat (5 kg), nitrophoska (15 g) are added to the sandy soil.
Most often, summer residents opt for superphosphate. It is the most popular fertilizer and is excellent for this crop. When applying compost or fresh organic matter, there is a risk of weeds in the spring.
How to feed winter onions in spring
Winter onions are also fertilized 3 times during the entire growing season. The fertilization scheme does not differ from the general one.
How to fertilize for the first time:
- Mix 3 parts superphosphate, 2 parts urea, 1 part potassium chloride and add water.
- With the prepared solution, gently pour the culture under the root.
Also use ready-made mineral substances, diluting according to the instructions.
The second time, fertilize with nitrophosphate - 2 tbsp. l. for 1 bucket of water. The solution is thoroughly mixed and then used for irrigation. One bucket is enough for 2 square meters. m.
For the third time, winter onions are best fertilized with superphosphate. 2 tbsp. l. the substance is enough to process 1 sq. m of soil.
What fertilizers to use so that the onion is large
Throughout the entire growth period, the soil is saturated with phosphorus, and when the head becomes 3-3.5 cm, it is enriched with potassium.
The most popular fertilizer is superphosphate. It is great for feeding onions in the spring, allowing the vegetable to grow quickly. Also often used "Agricola-2". The fertilizer meets all the requirements of this crop.
To obtain a large head, in addition to minerals, organic ones are used. Chicken droppings, wood ash and mullein are usually chosen.
Tips on the topic
The fact that there are enough nutrients in the soil is evidenced by good green onions. If yellow spots appear early, then it is time to urgently apply fertilizers. When onions are grown for a turnip, yellowing of the feathers during the ripening period is the norm.
In spring, cloudy weather is chosen for feeding and monitors the absence of wind. If the soil is too dry, water the crop first. Before the rain, mineral fertilizers are scattered between the rows. Together with precipitation, they will penetrate into the soil.
Wood ash not only serves as a good fertilizer, but also repels pests and protects crops from diseases.
Do not use substances if the expiration date has expired. The drugs lose their properties, and in some cases they can even harm.
It is interesting:
To obtain a good harvest of onions, it is necessary to apply fertilizers in a timely manner and choose them correctly, depending on the purpose of growing the crop. Taking proper care of your onions produces great greens and large, strong vegetables.