How to recognize an allergy to beets and quickly get rid of its symptoms: effective medicines and folk methods
Borsch, salad of beets with prunes, herring under a fur coat, vegetable stew, vinaigrette, beetroot. Everyone is familiar with these dishes since childhood. Beets give them brightness and unique taste. It supplies the body with potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, iron, zinc, manganese, boron, chromium, cobalt, vitamins A, B1, B6, B3, B9, C, E. No other vegetable has such a combination of substances. ... The beneficial properties of beets are not lost even when cooked.
But despite the benefits, beets often cause allergic reactions, especially in young children. We will find out why this is happening, how to treat allergies and whether prevention is possible.
The content of the article
Can beets cause allergies?
Doctors answer this question in the affirmative. Not everyone can fearlessly eat a vegetable. Beets are a strong allergen.
Causes of an allergic reaction:
- Metabolic disease.
- Improper diet and bad habits in adults.
- Immature digestive tract in children.
- Reaction to certain microelements, vitamins.
- Radionuclides and heavy metals accumulated in the root crop.
Types and classification of allergic reactions
Allergic reactions are classified according to different criteria.
By the speed and intensity of manifestation:
- immediate appearance.
By the area of exposure to the stimulus:
- Eye damage: swelling of the mucous membrane, lacrimation, itching.
- Respiratory: the respiratory tract and nasopharynx are affected.
- Cutaneous: dermatosis, atopic dermatitis.
- Angioneurotic edema - Quincke's edema - an acute reaction of the body to an irritant. It is manifested by the rapid development of edema of the mucous membranes and skin.
- Anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening acute reaction of the body to a strong allergen. The activity of the circulatory, respiratory and central nervous systems is disrupted.
By the type of stimulus:
- Humoral - for taking analgesics, antibiotics, vitamins of group B. They are manifested by impaired heart function, general weakness, anemia.
- Immunocomplex - for many types of drugs. Many organ systems are affected.
- Local reactions - upon contact with an allergen, to which the body is hypersensitive, redness, rash, itching on the body appear.
Allergy to beets in adults and children
Adults rarely have an allergic reaction to beets, more often infants and children under three years old are susceptible to this. In children, allergies are usually manifested by rashes on the skin of the cheeks, nasal congestion, and a runny nose. In most cases, the cause of this reaction is the immaturity of the digestive tract.
In adults, there is an upset of the gastrointestinal tract, skin redness, itching, and watery eyes. Anaphylactic shock and angioedema with beet allergies are extremely rare.
When the first symptoms appear, it is necessary to remove the beets from the diet and conduct antihistamine therapy.
reference... Breastfed babies are advised to introduce beets into the diet no earlier than eight months of age. Nursing mothers should exclude from their diet soups, borscht, stews, salads, which include this root vegetable.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
If, after eating beets, loose stools, tearing, runny nose, watery rash, redness and peeling on the skin are observed, an allergist consultation and diagnosis of the causes of the human condition is necessary.
- skin allergy tests;
- analysis of venous blood for antibodies to the allergen;
- study of the diet.
How to cure allergies
First of all, you need to take antihistamines ("Fenistil", "Zirtek", "Zodak", etc.) and absorbent ("Polysorb", "Smecta", activated carbon, etc.) drugs prescribed by a doctor.
The acuity of skin manifestations - itching, swelling, peeling - will be removed by creams and ointments ("Tsinocap", "Skin-cap", "Salicylic paste", "Bepanten", "Elokom", "Advantan", "Pimafukort", etc.).
Attention! Drug treatment is carried out only as directed and under the supervision of a physician.
Tips from traditional healers:
- Chamomile tea. 1 tbsp. pour 200 ml of boiling water over a spoonful of chamomile flowers, insist, strain. Drink 50 ml 3 times a day.
- Baths with chamomile or a series for children. Infusion (1 tbsp. A spoonful of chamomile (string) for 1 liter of boiling water,) add to the bathing bath.
- Potato compress. Put peeled, finely grated potatoes on cheesecloth or bandage and apply for 30 minutes to the swollen places.
- Chatterbox with Valerian (ointment).
- Two or three viburnum berries a day (or viburnum tea).
The combination of traditional and folk allergy treatments enhances the result.
To avoid allergies, follow the rules for adding beets to your child's diet:
- the first complementary food with a vegetable should be introduced to the baby at 8 months or after one and a half years, if one of the parents is allergic;
- up to three years old, a child cannot eat raw beets;
- always cut off the top of the root vegetable - it contains the highest concentration of nitrates.
If allergies are detected, remove this product from the diet. After the course of treatment and diet, start with one bite, gradually accustoming the child to eat this vegetable.
Important! This can only be done with the permission of your doctor.
Alternative products on the menu
Carrots are the best palatable substitute for beets in the diet. At the same time, it is also necessary to increase the amount of products in the menu containing fiber, vitamins of group B, E, C, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc. These substances are found in beets. Eliminating this vegetable from food, take care of its quality replacement.
White cabbage is rich in fiber, vitamin C. Carrots - vitamin A. Apples - iron. Sea buckthorn, rosehip, apricot - vitamin E. Raisins, prunes - vitamin B1. Bananas, spinach, cauliflower - vitamin B6. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds - phosphorus. Almonds, walnuts - zinc. A varied and balanced diet is a guarantee of health.
reference... Allergic reactions are caused not by the beet itself, but by the substances accumulated in it (radionuclides, metals, derivatives of mineral fertilizers). They are found in other vegetables and fruits grown in the same area under the same conditions.
It is impossible to predict whether a person is allergic to a particular product in advance. In the case of children, this will only show the gradual introduction of a vegetable or fruit into the diet. Don't be afraid to do this. Follow the recommendations of your pediatrician, nutritionist. If you experience any unpleasant symptoms, contact an allergist.