Sauerkraut in a barrel: recipes and tips
Sauerkraut is a primordially Russian dish. This method of preserving the product has been used for a long time. A vegetable fermented in a barrel tastes better than a can. Wooden barrels retain their taste and healthiness. For more information on how to ferment cabbage in a barrel for the winter, read further in the article.
The content of the article
In what barrels sauerkraut is fermented
Barrels made of various types of wood are used to ferment cabbage.: oak, aspen, linden and others. The choice of such a container is easy to explain - it is an environmentally friendly material that is made without the use of chemicals and welding. The material of the barrel is selected according to the contents that will subsequently be stored in it.
The barrel production technology does not depend on the type of wood... But in order to choose the right material, you should familiarize yourself with its pros and cons.
Oak at all times was considered the best choice for making barrels for pickling cabbage due to its pliability and hardening, however, the processing of containers is time-consuming, and the wood itself gives the product a characteristic flavor.
Cedar barrels are considered one of the best because provide long-term storage without changing the taste... The disadvantage of such a container is the high cost of the material.
Linden is popular for barrel making due to its appearance and softness. Containers made of this material are suitable for storing pickles.... But it is inferior in durability and density to other types of wood.
Pine barrels are also suitable for storing sauerkraut, the ease of care and the softness of the material contribute to this. But the smell of the forest that wood has can transfer to the product.
Aspen keeps the pickled vegetable until spring... However, with the onset of warm weather, it loses its properties - you will have to look for a new place for sauerkraut, otherwise it will acquire an unpleasant sourness.
Interesting on the site:
Barrel Sauerkraut Recipes
Preparing ingredients is a crucial step in sourdough cabbage. All products must be mature and not spoiled - the shelf life of the salting depends on this.
For the classic sauerkraut recipe in a barrel you need the following ingredients:
- 10 kg of white cabbage;
- 1 kg of fresh carrots;
- 250 g of salt;
- 50 g sugar;
- 15 g black pepper (peas);
- 50 g rye bread.
Step by step cooking method:
- Peel the cabbage from the top leaves, chop the head of cabbage into strips (not very finely) or grate on a special grater.
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Mix cabbage, carrots, salt and sugar in a separate container.
- Put a slice of dry rye bread on the bottom of a wooden barrel and cover it with whole cabbage leaves.
- Lay out the vegetables in dense layers, periodically tamping them until the juice appears. Do not fill the barrel to the very top, leave room for the lid and oppression.
- Cover the stacked mass with gauze folded in two.
- Put the oppression on top and cover with a lid, leave the barrel with cabbage in a warm place for two days.
- Once a day, pierce the mass to the very bottom in order to release the accumulated carbon dioxide.
- After two days, take the barrel outside (at a temperature of + 8 ° C or less) and leave for another three days.
- Store ready-made sauerkraut outdoors or in a cool place, where the temperature is not lower than 0 ° C.
It is advisable to lay all vegetables not immediately, but gradually, in parts, so that it is easier to mix and they do not lose their appearance. You can add cranberries or cloves to the finished pickle in a barrel.
This method is very simple, no additional ingredients are needed. First of all, prepare a container, wash it thoroughly and dry it.
For sourdough cabbage you will need:
- cabbage - 10 kg;
- carrots - 1-1.5 kg;
- sugar - 50-60 g;
- black peppercorns - 15-20 g;
- Rye bread;
- salt - 200 g
- Remove the top leaves from the cabbage, peel the carrots.
- Chop the head of cabbage finely with a knife or through a food processor, grate the carrots on a coarse grater.
- In a separate saucepan, combine vegetables and spices.
- Use rye bread as a starter, placing it on the bottom of the barrel.
- Put the vegetable mass on top, crush and put under oppression for two days at room temperature.
- Take out in the cold for two days.
- Store the prepared salting in a cool place.
There are many simple and complex sauerkraut recipes. One of the interesting options is the hot sourdough method.
For this method you will need the following products:
- head of cabbage - 3-4 pcs.;
- carrots - 6-8 pcs.;
- water - 5 l;
- salt - 6-8 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 1-2 tbsp. l .;
- vinegar 70% - 3 tbsp. l.
- Finely chop the vegetables on a grater or in a food processor and mix in a container.
- Prepare the brine: add salt, sugar to the water, leave to boil. After boiling water, cook the spices for another 2-3 minutes.
- Put the vegetable mass in a wooden barrel or tub and fill it with hot brine, add vinegar.
- Periodically pierce the vegetable mass to the bottom with a wooden stick, top up the brine, if necessary.
- Close the finished salting with a lid. After complete cooling, remove the container to a cool place. The vegetables are crispy - just like fresh.
The first recipes for sauerkraut appeared long ago... They included the available ingredients: sweet and sour apples, carrots, cabbage, salt and sugar.
The cooking method was simple: vegetables were chopped into strips, apples were cut into quarters, all products were mixed with salt and sugar, tamped tightly and left for 2-3 days in a warm place. Once a day, the mixture was pierced to the bottom. If there was a lot of brine, it was scooped out into a clean dish and put away in a cool place - it will be needed later so that the pickle does not become dry.
Reference.The technology of salting sauerkraut with apples is still relevant today, if there is a cellar or basement where you can install a barrel.
How to salt cabbage in a barrel for the winter: useful tips
Salting cabbage for the winter is a long and laborious process. In order for the procedure to be successful, follow simple tips:
- When choosing cabbage, preference is given to late varieties with upper leaves. If there are no leaves, then the head of cabbage has been frozen and is not suitable for salting.
- Particular attention is paid to capacity. The barrel is thoroughly washed, poured with boiling water, sealed with a lid and steamed for 10-20 minutes. Then it is poured with cold water and left to infuse for two to seven days so that the tree swells and the gaps disappear.
- Do not chop cabbage too finely or thinly, because it will get wet and oxydate. Cut with a straight sharp knife - this way it is possible to maintain the desired length and width of the straw.
Storing sauerkraut in a barrel is not an affordable pleasure to anyone, there is no room for such a container in the apartment. But if you have a cellar or cellar, you should try salting according to the classic recipe or with the addition of additional ingredients. The pickles will taste different from the usual, and vitamins will improve health in the cold season.