Simple and delicious recipes for salting cabbage in brine with salt and sugar
There are many options for harvesting white cabbage for the winter. One of them is salting in brine with salt and sugar, which requires knowledge and skills.
In order for salted cabbage to turn out juicy, tasty and crispy and retain its useful properties for a long time, it is necessary to take into account the subtleties of its preparation: choose the necessary heads of cabbage, choose the right container for salting, observe the proportions of ingredients and the process technology. We will talk about this in our article.
The content of the article
- Selection and preparation of cabbage for pickling
- How to pickle cabbage in brine with salt and sugar correctly
- Recipe variations
- Features of storage of such blanks
- Tips from experienced housewives
Selection and preparation of cabbage for pickling
Not all varieties of white cabbage are suitable for salting for the winter.... Early varieties of cabbage contain less sugar and have delicate leaves. The finished product from such heads of cabbage will turn out to be soft and tasteless.
For preparation for the winter take mid-season and late varieties of white cabbage - they have firm heads of cabbage and a high sugar content. The best varieties and hybrids of mid-season cabbage - Slava 1305, Belorusskaya 455, Tobia, Podarok, Rinda, Menza F1. Late-ripening varieties and hybrids - Amager 611, Moscow late 15, Kharkovskaya winter, Geneva F1, Türkiz.
For salting, choose large heads of cabbage with white leaves... The leaves contain sugar, which helps the fermentation process. Green heads of cabbage are not suitable for harvesting. Each should weigh at least 1 kg, the optimal weight for salted cabbage is 3-5 kg. They are checked for deformation. To do this, squeeze the forks with your hands: if it has lost its shape, then you should not salt it.
Reference. The harder the forks, the more crunchy the snack will be.
Also, the vegetable is tasted... Cabbage should be juicy and sweet, without bitterness. The tastier the fresh cabbage, the tastier the finished product will be.
Heads of cabbage should be free of signs of freezing, damage and cracks... They are cleaned of the upper green leaves, washed with cold water and dried.
Heads of cabbage are salted in wooden barrels and tubs... Preference is given to birch, oak and linden - spruce barrels contain a lot of resins and tannins. Enamel containers are used for salting. It is important that they are free of chips and cracks. Cabbage is also salted in glass and ceramic dishes.
It is better not to use aluminum containers without coating for salting.: the metal can react with lactic acid, which is released during fermentation, and spoil the product.
The selected container is thoroughly washed... It is better to use natural products without flavors - a solution of soda or mustard. Glass jars are sterilized before use.
How to pickle cabbage in brine with salt and sugar correctly
Main ingredients for pickling cabbage in brine - white cabbage, water, salt and sugar. To change the taste and color of the snack, add carrots, beets, tomatoes and bell peppers. Apples, sour plums, cranberries, lingonberries and honey add a zest to the dish. To add a piquant taste and aroma, put horseradish leaves, dill seeds, garlic, allspice and black peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, caraway seeds and horseradish.
Some recipes use vinegar and vegetable oil... The oil softens the taste of the snack, helps the better absorption of vegetables by the body.
Proportions, ratio of salt and sugar
Salting cabbage differs from pickling by the amount of added salt... When fermenting, add 2% of salt from the total weight of vegetables, with salting - at least 6%.More salt allows you to get the finished product faster (in 3-6 days) and increases its shelf life.
Sugar stimulates juice production, speeds up the fermentation process... The classic recipe for pickling cabbage in brine gives a sweetish taste at the end. This option is suitable for those who do not like sour snacks. The amount of sugar varies in recipes depending on preference.
We will tell you how to cook salted cabbage in brine using a classic recipe as an example.
For the preparation you will need:
- white cabbage - 2 kg;
- carrots - 2 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 1 pc .;
- water - 1 l;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l.
Step by step cooking:
- The head of cabbage is cut into pieces and chopped. Carrots are grated or cut into strips.
- Chopped vegetables are mixed and put into a container for salting, bay leaves are added.
- Brine is prepared: salt and sugar are poured into cold water, stirred until the bulk components are completely dissolved.
- Pour vegetables with the resulting brine so that it completely covers them. Cover with a plate and put oppression on top. Leave for 3 days at room temperature.
- Twice a day, the workpiece is pierced with a wooden skewer to release the accumulated gases.
- After 3 days, the snack is completely ready to eat. It is stored in a cellar or basement.
There are many recipes for salting cabbage in brine with salt and sugar, which are easy to prepare.
This recipe will be ready to eat in 2 hours.
- white cabbage - 1 kg;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- garlic - 3-4 cloves;
- water - 300 ml;
- vegetable oil - 50 ml;
- table vinegar (preferably apple or grape) - 50 ml;
- salt - 50 g;
- sugar - 100 g;
- cloves - 3 pcs.;
- black peppercorns - 5 pcs.
How they cook:
- The top green leaves are removed from the head of cabbage, chopped. The carrots are peeled and grated. Garlic is divided into slices, peeled, cut into thin slices.
- The crushed products are mixed in one container.
- Prepare the brine: add salt, sugar, cloves and pepper to hot water, bring to a boil. Pour in vinegar and remove from heat. Add oil.
- Vegetables are poured with hot marinade and left to cool at room temperature. After 2 hours, the product is completely ready for use.
If you have 8 hours left, then the cabbage is prepared differently. Salt, sugar, cloves, pepper, vinegar and oil are added to boiled water at room temperature. Let it brew for 5 minutes and pour the vegetables. The oppression is set on top and left for 7 hours at room temperature.
Council. When salting cabbage in a jar, a plastic bag with water is used as oppression.
With vegetable oil
According to this recipe, heads of cabbage are prepared in large pieces with the addition of vegetable oil.
- white cabbage - 3 kg;
- beets - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 3 pcs.;
- horseradish - 2 small roots;
- garlic - 4-5 cloves;
- water - 2 l;
- sugar - 0.5 cups;
- salt - 100 g;
- vinegar 9% - 200 g;
- vegetable oil - 200 g;
- black peppercorns - 6 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 5 pcs.;
- cloves - 4 pcs.
- The cabbage is cleaned from the upper leaves, cut into large pieces of any size.
- Peel and cut carrots and beets into slices or strips.
- The garlic is peeled and passed through a press, the horseradish is finely chopped.
- Chopped vegetables are mixed.
- Prepare the marinade: add sugar, salt, pepper, bay leaf and cloves to hot water. Bring to a boil. Pour in oil and vinegar, boil for 3 minutes and remove from the stove.
- Vegetable mass is poured with hot brine. Cover with a plate and set a little oppression. Leave for a day at a temperature of + 18 ... + 20 ° C.
- In a day, the snack is ready for use, it is stored in the refrigerator.
Take a note:
Cabbage according to this recipe is crispy and slightly spicy, looks bright.
For cooking cabbage with tomatoes for the winter in jars, you will need:
- white cabbage - 1 head of cabbage;
- tomatoes (preferably finger) - 1 kg;
- currant leaves - 4 pcs.;
- dill umbrella - 2 pcs.;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- black peppercorns - 20 pcs.;
- allspice peas - 6 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 4 pcs.;
- water - 1 l;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l. (with a slide);
- salt - 1 tbsp l. (with a slide);
- vinegar 9% - 80 ml.
From the specified amount of ingredients, two two-liter cans are obtained.
How they cook:
- The cabbage is peeled and chopped into strips.
- In sterilized jars, put 2 currant leaves, one umbrella of dill, 2 cloves of garlic, 10 black peppercorns, 3 allspice peas, 2 bay leaves. Lay a layer of cabbage on top, tomatoes on the cabbage. Layers alternate to the top, the top layer should be from tomatoes.
- The water is brought to a boil and vegetables are poured over. Jars are covered and left for 20 minutes.
- Then the water is poured into a saucepan, salt, sugar are added and brought to a boil. After boiling, pour in vinegar and remove from the stove.
- Pour vegetables to the top with hot brine and roll up the lids. The jars are turned over and covered with a blanket until they cool.
The finished snack is stored in the cellar or pantry.
Serbian cabbage is cooked with whole heads. For harvesting, flattened heads of cabbage are chosenthis makes them easier to place in a bucket or pan.
For cooking, you need white cabbage and salt. The brine is mixed in a proportion of 300 g of salt per 10 liters of water.
- The top leaves are removed from the heads, washed. Cut the stump as deep as possible.
- Salt is poured into the groove from the stump. The heads of cabbage are placed in a container so that the salt does not spill out.
- Prepare a brine: dissolve the salt in clean cold water.
- Pour heads of cabbage with it. He must cover them completely. Cover with a lid and leave on the balcony for 3 days. If the heads of cabbage float, they are pressed down by oppression.
- Then the container is opened and the amount of brine is checked. If it becomes less, then add another portion. Then it is closed and left for 2-3 weeks.
The workpiece is stored throughout the winter at a temperature of 0 ... + 10 ° С... It cannot be exposed to frost.
With vinegar, the snack is delicious and crispy.
- white cabbage - 5 kg;
- carrots - 0.6 kg;
- water - 2 l;
- sugar - 4 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 4 tbsp. l .;
- vinegar 9% - 4 tbsp. l.
- The head of cabbage is chopped, carrots are cut into strips or grated, mixed.
- Prepare brine: add salt and sugar to hot water, bring to a boil. After boiling, add vinegar and remove from the stove.
- Pour vegetables with hot brine and leave to cool.
- After cooling, they are stored in a cellar or basement.
One of the quickest ways to get a finished product.
For cooking you will need:
- white cabbage - 300 g;
- carrots - 100 g;
- bulgarian pepper - 100 g;
- salt - 1 tbsp l .;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l .;
- water - 1 l.
How they cook:
- The head of cabbage is chopped, the carrots are grated, the pepper is cut into strips. The crushed products are mixed and placed in sterilized jars.
- Prepare the brine: add salt and sugar to hot water, boil for 3 minutes.
- Vegetables are poured with hot liquid and left for a day at room temperature.
- In a day, the snack is completely ready for use, it is stored in the refrigerator.
Features of storage of such blanks
Properly harvested salted cabbage is stored in barrels for up to eight months, in cans for about six months. During this time, it retains its beneficial properties. Store it in a cool dark place, the optimum temperature is about 0 ° C. A lower temperature will lead to a decrease in vitamin C in the snack, a higher temperature will lead to oxidation.
Tips from experienced housewives
For salting heads of cabbage, experienced housewives recommend:
- start salting heads of cabbage with the onset of frost;
- choose flattened heads of cabbage, as they are sweeter;
- use coarse rock salt without additives;
- do not salt cabbage in a metal bowl;
- do not add a lot of carrots - from a large amount of it, the cabbage becomes soft;
- salt cabbage after the new moon, on the growing moon;
- to do preparations on men's day - Monday, Tuesday or Thursday;
- to extend the shelf life of the workpiece, remove it from the container only with a clean spoon;
- so that mold does not form on the appetizer, put horseradish leaves on top;
- store the workpiece in a cool, dark place, away from heating appliances.
Salting in brine is a common way of harvesting cabbage for the winter. So that it does not turn sour, does not "bloom" and does not become moldy, but pleases with taste and crunch, you should pay attention to the choice of heads and observe the proportions of ingredients for fermentation.