Whether or not eggplant is possible for type 2 diabetes: benefits and harms, recipes
Chinese wisdom says: "To heal your body, you need to change your lifestyle." For patients with type 2 diabetes, it can be a clue on the path to healing. Changing the diet for diabetics is one of the conditions for antidiabetic therapy.
The general recommendation of endocrinologists for diabetics is to introduce more vegetables and fruits into the diet. Eggplant is often a substitute for potatoes that are prohibited in diabetes. But their thoughtless use can cause an aggravation of the disease. From the article you will learn about the composition of the product, whether or not eggplant can be used for type 2 diabetes mellitus, indications and restrictions for its use.
The content of the article
- The benefits and harms of eggplant in type II diabetes mellitus
- Possibility of eating eggplant for type II diabetes
- Eggplant recipes for type II diabetes
- Traditional medicine recipes
The benefits and harms of eggplant in type II diabetes mellitus
The beneficial and harmful properties of these vegetables are determined their composition.
The chemical composition of eggplant
Purple vegetables contain a range of beneficial vitamins and minerals:
- ascorbic acid - participates in collagen synthesis;
- B vitamins - necessary to normalize metabolism;
- vitamin PP - strengthens the walls of blood vessels;
- carotenes - improve twilight vision;
- tocopherols - vitamins of youth, neutralize free radicals;
- vitamin K - a component of the blood coagulation system;
- potassium and magnesium - reduce stimulation of smooth and heart muscles;
- manganese, copper, iron and zinc are part of enzymes;
- calcium - tones up skeletal muscles.
The pulp contains a large amount of fiber, which prevents the rapid absorption of carbohydrates. The peel is rich in enzymes that improve blood circulation. Another useful component is anthocyanins, they have antioxidant properties, giving the eggplant a purple color.
100 g accounts for:
- proteins - 1.2 g;
- fat - 0.1 g;
- carbohydrates - 4.5 g;
- calorie content - 24 kcal.
These indicators refer to raw vegetables.... Depending on the cooking methods (frying in oil, cooking, stewing, etc.), the KBZHU values may vary.
Indicators baked and boiled eggplant:
- calorie content - 42.8 kcal;
- proteins - 1.4 g;
- fats - 2.3 g;
- carbohydrates - 4.2 g.
Indicators fried eggplant:
- calorie content - 132 kcal;
- proteins - 0.8 g;
- fats - 8.1 g;
- carbohydrates - 10.2 g.
- calorie content - 38 kcal;
- proteins - 1.2 g;
- fats - 1.9 g;
- carbohydrates - 5.2 g.
- calorie content - 50 kcal;
- proteins - 0.9 g;
- fats - 0.7 g;
- carbohydrates - 7.27 g.
Glycemic index of eggplant
For patients with type 2 diabetes when choosing food it is not so much the carbohydrate content that is important as the glycemic index of the product.
The value of this indicator indicates the rate of change in blood sugar levels after a meal. The higher the glycemic index, the greater the sugar load the body experiences when consuming the product.
The glycemic index of eggplant is 15... This means that two hours after ingestion of 100 g of eggplant, 100 × 0.15 = 15 g of glucose will be found in the blood. This value of the glycemic index is low, so eggplant for diabetics can be consumed in significant quantities.
It is interesting:
Possibility of eating eggplant for type II diabetes
Let's figure out what are Pros and Cons of Including Purple Vegetables for Diabetics.
- In diabetes mellitus, the vessels are primarily affected. Vitamins C, PP, B contained in eggplants strengthen the vascular wall and promote its regeneration. This helps to reduce the risk of vascular pathologies and alleviate the condition of patients.
- A common concomitant disease of diabetes is obesity. The low calorie and glycemic index of the purple vegetable suggests a potential use for weight loss.
- People with diabetes are constantly taking medications that can negatively affect the liver. The content of iron, manganese and copper in eggplants helps restore the amount of liver antitoxic enzymes.
- With concomitant atherosclerosis diabetes, eggplant will help reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood.
- Zinc, which is part of the pulp of the fruit, stimulates the synthesis of insulin in the pancreas and increases the sensitivity of tissues to this hormone.
- Housewives prefer to use eggplant for frying. Fried and fatty foods only worsen the condition of patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Overripe fruits of purple vegetables contain excess amounts of solanine, a toxin that damages liver cells. White eggplant varieties contain a minimum amount, therefore, in this regard, they are considered harmless.
- Risk of food allergy. Allergy sufferers and patients with impaired immune status should be careful when introducing large amounts of eggplant into their diet.
Taking into account the quantitative carbohydrate indicators of these vegetables they can be introduced into the diet for diabetes with almost no restrictions.
Reference. The average annual consumption rate per person is 2-5 kg of raw eggplant.
Introduction to the diet of vegetables helps to reduce the calorie content of food consumed, but don't forget about moderation.
Should limit or stop consuming purple vegetables if you notice manifestation of such undesirable reactions of the body:
- sharp or aching pain in the stomach or intestines - evidence of an exacerbation of inflammatory processes - for example, gastritis, enterocolitis or duodenitis;
- pain in the right or left hypochondrium is a sign of inflammation of the liver or pancreas;
- irregular bowel movements - possible due to excess fiber intake;
- pain in the kidneys is a sign of inflammation or exacerbation of urolithiasis;
- redness, peeling, itching of the skin are signs of allergic reactions.
Eggplant recipes for type II diabetes
For patients with diabetes, it is recommended to exclude fatty, fried and sugary foods from the diet.... The amount of starchy foods is also reduced.
To make the updated diet not only healthy, but also tasty, take note of the recipes.
- eggplant - 4 pcs.;
- onion - one head;
- carrots - 2 pcs.;
- sweet pepper - 2 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 4 pcs.;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- greens to taste.
Eggplants are cut into cubes and soaked in salted water for 30 minutes - so the bitterness goes away. Cut onions into half rings, carrots and peppers into cubes, tomatoes into slices. Garlic and herbs are chopped in a blender or finely chopped.
Put vegetables without oil in a cauldron or deep frying pan, salt a little to extract juice and stew with the lid closed over low heat for half an hour. If necessary, add half a glass of water so that the vegetables do not burn. Then add herbs and garlic and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- zucchini - 2-3 pcs.;
- eggplant - 3 pcs.;
- sweet pepper - 2 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 2-3 pcs.;
- onion - 1 pc .;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- salt to taste;
- pepper to taste.
Eggplants are peeled, cut into cubes and soaked in salted water for 15 minutes. Zucchini and carrots are peeled and diced. The onion is cut into half rings or chopped in a blender. Tomatoes and peppers can be cut into cubes or wedges, if desired, peeled (for a minute in boiling water, then in cold water).
In a cauldron or deep frying pan, salted vegetables are stewed over low heat with a little water and stirring occasionally so that the mixture does not burn. When the vegetables are soft, add seasonings and let it brew for 5 minutes with the lid closed.
Steamed eggplant salad
- eggplant - 3 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 3 pcs.;
- cucumbers - 3-4 pcs.;
- sweet pepper - 2-3 pcs.;
- red cabbage - half a head of cabbage;
- greens, salt, pepper - to taste.
Eggplants are peeled, cut in half, and soaked in salted water for half an hour. Next, you should boil the water in a slow cooker or double boiler, put the eggplants on a sieve over the steam, close the lid, cook for 15-20 minutes.
After that, tomatoes are cut into slices, cucumbers - in half rings, peppers - in cubes, cabbage - in small strips. Cut eggplants into cubes. All ingredients are mixed, herbs, salt and seasonings are added.
Baked eggplant caviar
- eggplant - 5 pcs.;
- sweet pepper - 3-4 pcs.;
- onion - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 3-5 cloves;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
Eggplants and peppers should be washed and placed with stalks on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Then preheat the oven to +200 ° С, put a baking sheet with vegetables in it, bake for 30-40 minutes. To prevent the vegetables from burning, they are periodically turned over.
When the eggplants are soft and the peppers shriveled, the vegetables are taken out and air-cooled to a comfortable temperature. Finished vegetables are peeled and peeled, seeds are removed from peppers.
Onions, garlic, peppers and eggplants are chopped with a blender until smooth. If there is no blender, grate the onion and garlic, and grind the vegetables with a fork. Then add salt and seasonings to taste, mix.
Boiled eggplant with cheese and garlic
- eggplant - 1 pc.;
- hard cheese - 30 g;
- garlic - 2-3 cloves;
- parsley - 2-3 branches;
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l .;
- salt to taste.
The eggplants are cut lengthwise, the stalks are cut off. Cheese and garlic are grated, herbs are chopped. Cook halves of eggplant in boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes. The finished eggplants are laid out on a paper towel and dried.
While the vegetables are hot, sprinkle them with cheese from the side of the cut. In a bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic and herbs. The resulting mixture is spread on top of the melted cheese. The dish is served cold as a snack.
Enjoy your meal!
Traditional medicine recipes
For medicinal purposes in diabetes mellitus, the peel of purple fruits is usedcontaining anthocyanins, so only it is harvested. Use the skins of young eggplants, as overripe fruits contain excessive amounts of solanine.
It is better to harvest the peel during harvest.... The vegetables that you find on store shelves in the winter have been stored in warehouses and storage facilities for a long time. Even if the fruits were harvested young, solanine builds up during storage.
Pay attention to the quality of the fruit... Fruits that have rotted or infected with phytoparasites are not suitable for use.
Attention! Before taking traditional medicine, consult an endocrinologist!
Eggplant peel infusion
50 g of fresh washed peel is poured into a thermos 0.5 liters of boiling water and insisted for 8-10 hours... After the infusion is filtered, the peel is squeezed. Apply half a glass before meals.
It has antioxidant, choleretic, hypoglycemic properties. It is used for anemia, liver and biliary tract diseases, diabetes, pancreatitis, obesity.
To continue the eggplant peel treatment all year round, it can be air dried or in an electric dryer and ground into powder using a mortar or coffee grinder. Dry powder is stored in sealed containers for a year.
5 g of powder is brewed with 500 ml of boiling water, infused for 2-3 hours, then filtered... Apply half a glass before meals.
Antidiabetic collection with eggplant peel
Mix in equal parts by weight:
- dry blueberry shoots;
- nettle leaves;
- flax seeds;
- rhizomes and roots of elecampane;
- dry eggplant peel;
- chicory root;
- milk thistle fruit;
- corn silk.
3 tbsp. l. collection is brewed in a thermos with 500 ml of boiling water, insisted for 10-12 hours. Drink half a glass hot half an hour before meals.
Attention! Traditional medicines are not a substitute for standard antidiabetic drug therapy. Do not stop taking medications without the instructions of your doctor!
Gently introduce eggplant dishes into the diet, if, in addition to diabetes you have the following diseases:
- Gastritis, enterocolitis or duodenitis... Organic acids found in vegetables can irritate the walls of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Pancreatitis... Eggplant dishes that contain oil put more strain on the pancreas.
- Urolithiasis disease... Purple fruits are rich in oxalates, which contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
- Immune disorders... The diet of allergy sufferers excludes the constant use of the same type of products, eggplant in this case is no exception. Diversify your meals with other types of foods.
- Erythrocytosis... Purple vegetables stimulate blood formation, people with high levels of hemoglobin and red blood cells should limit the consumption of this vegetable.
- Vein thrombosis... Vitamin K and calcium in the fruit pulp stimulate blood clotting, which increases blood clots.
Eggplant can be beneficial for diabetics. But in order for the consumption of this vegetable to be rational and not cause harm, it is important to follow the rules: include only young fruits in the diet, use cooking, stewing or baking, observe moderation. And, most importantly, if unpleasant consequences arise, abandon them and seek the advice of a doctor.