Medium early, unpretentious potato variety "Red Fantasy" with bright oval tubers
German potato varieties are valued for their high productivity, strong immunity and impeccable presentation. Red Fantasy (Red fantasy) - fully meets these criteria. The culture is undemanding to watering and is often content with precipitation. Complex mineral compositions and a minimum amount of nitrogen are used as top dressing.
The article contains detailed information about the Red Fantasy potatoes with a description of the variety and photos.
The content of the article
- Origin and description of the variety
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Features of planting and growing
- Collection, storage and use of the crop
- Tips from experienced gardeners and reviews
Origin and description of the variety
The medium late potato variety Red Fantasy is a product of the breeding work of employees of the German company Europlant pflanzenzucht GMBH. Culture was included in the State Register of Russia in 2011. Popularly known as Fantasy Potatoes, Red Fantasy and simply Fantasy.
The photo shows Red Fantasy potatoes.
The table contains a description of the variety.
|Ripening period||90-110 days|
|Bush||Tall, erect, stem type|
|The number of tubers in the bush||10-12|
|Coloration||The peel is red, with many small eyes, the flesh is rich yellow|
|Leaves||Large, intermediate, light green color, with slight waviness along the edge, intense anthocyanin coloration on the back|
|Taste||Good (4 on a five-point scale)|
|Cooking class / group||B (medium crumbly)|
|Yield||Average - 256-379 c / ha, maximum - 393 c / ha|
|Sustainability||To potato crayfish, golden potato nematode, wrinkled and banded mosaic, leaf roll virus|
The table shows the vitamin and mineral composition of raw potatoes with skin.
|Beta carotene||0.001 mg||5 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.081 mg||1.5 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.032 mg||1.8 mg|
|Vitamin B4||12.1 mg||500 mg|
|Vitamin B5||0.295 mg||5 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.298 mg||2 mg|
|Vitamin B9||15 mcg||400 mcg|
|Vitamin C||19.7 mg||90 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.01 mg||15 mg|
|Vitamin K||2 μg||120 mcg|
|Vitamin PP||1,061 mg||20 mg|
|Potassium||425 mg||2500 mg|
|Calcium||12 mg||1000 mg|
|Magnesium||23 mg||400 mg|
|Sodium||6 mg||1300 mg|
|Phosphorus||57 mg||800 mg|
|Iron||0.81 mg||18 mg|
|Manganese||0.153 mg||2 mg|
|Copper||110 mcg||1000 mcg|
|Selenium||0.4 μg||55 mcg|
|Zinc||0.3 mg||12 mg|
For which regions is it suitable
The culture received admission to growing in the following regions of the country:
- Central (Bryansk, Kaluga, Ivanovo, Vladimir, Moscow, Tula, Ryazan, Smolensk regions);
- Volgo-Vyatsky (Kirov, Nizhny Novgorod, Sverdlovsk regions, Republic of Mari El, Perm Territory, Chuvash and Udmurt republics);
- Srednevolzhsky (Penza, Ulyanovsk, Samara regions, Republic of Mordovia, Republic of Tatarstan).
Advantages and disadvantages
- high rates of productivity;
- attractive appearance;
- evenness of fruits;
- pleasant taste;
- keeping quality;
- high level of transportation;
- optimal starch content;
- universal use in cooking;
- strong immunity.
Judging by the enthusiastic reviews of gardeners, Red Fantasy has no shortcomings.
Interesting fact. Potatoes are the first tuberous vegetable grown in space.The experiment was carried out in 1995 on the US space station "Columbia".
Features of planting and growing
Red Fantasy potatoes tolerate a short-term drop in air temperature during the growing season, but are sensitive to low soil temperatures. To achieve high yields, a drip irrigation system is installed on the site, the bushes are fed with organic matter and minerals.
14-20 days before the estimated landing the tubers are brought to light, re-sorted, leaving only healthy material. The seeds are soaked in a disinfectant solution with potassium permanganate or copper sulfate:
- 5 g of copper sulfate;
- 1 g of potassium permanganate;
- 40 g of urea;
- 10 g boric acid;
- 60 superphosphate.
Pour the components with hot water at 80 ° C, stir thoroughly and cool. The tubers are dipped into the resulting mixture and kept for 20 minutes. Then they are laid out on the floor to dry.
The optimum temperature for germination is + 14 ° C.
Immediately before planting, the material is treated with growth stimulants - "Epin" or "Zircon".
Potatoes grow on loose and nutritious soil - black soil, loam - with neutral acidity (pH 5.2-5.7). Proper soil preparation is the key to successful crop cultivation. To determine pH, use litmus strips or a device with a long probe. Sour soil is deoxidized by adding dolomite flour, chalk, ash, slaked lime. Manure, compost, sawdust and pine needles will help increase the acidity of alkaline soil.
To enrich the scarce soil, the site is sown with green manure. Lupines, oats, rye, wheat, peas, beans are best suited. Mowed and rotted greens serve as an excellent fertilizer, saturates the soil with nitrogen and loosens.
Timing, scheme and landing rules
Potatoes are planted in mid-April - early May, depending on the region and weather conditions. Soil temperature should be + 8 ... + 10 ° С, air temperature - + 16 ... + 18 ° С.
Given the tallness and spreading of the bushes, the tubers are planted with an interval of 30-40 cm to a depth of 10 cm.The width of the row spacing is 50-60 cm.
A handful of superphosphate and wood ash are added to each well. Seeds are covered with sprouts up. The pits are covered with soil, but not compacted.
The plot is mulched with hay, straw, sawdust to prevent the growth of weeds and retain moisture in the soil.
The nuances of care
The Red Fantasy variety does not need strict adherence to the watering regime. The plant is content with atmospheric precipitation, and during a period of prolonged drought, the bushes are watered by hand - 2-3 times every 10 days. On large landing areas, drip irrigation is installed to regulate the humidity level.
You cannot do without loosening the topsoil and weeding. Shallow loosening prevents the formation of a hard crust on the soil surface, promotes the penetration of oxygen to the root system. Weeds are removed as they grow.
Hilling is carried out in two stages:
- the first (3-4 cm) - after the emergence of sprouts to protect the potatoes from frost and the Colorado potato beetle;
- the second (16-20 cm) - after 3-4 weeks, during the budding period, to create favorable conditions for the formation of fruits.
During the season, potatoes are fed three times:
- The first portion is applied 14 days after planting, using a minimum amount of nitrogen-containing fertilizers that enhance the growth of green mass. For 10 liters of water, take 0.5 liters of mullein and 15 g of urea. Consumption rate per bush - 0.5 liters.
- The second portion - 14–20 days after the first, using mineral fertilizers with potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, boron, manganese to form tubers. For 10 liters of water take 15 g of potassium sulfate, 100 g of wood ash, 15 g of double superphosphate. Consumption rate per bush - 0.5 liters.
- The third portion - organic matter - is brought in a month before harvesting to saturate the plant with useful substances. For 10 liters of water, take 300 g of horsetail greens, boil for 20 minutes, cool and use to spray the bushes.As an additional agent used "Epin-Extra" (1 ampoule per 5 liters). Consumption per bush - 0.5 l.
An interesting method of planting in bags is used for growing potatoes. One of its advantages is mobility. The bags can be moved from place to place as needed. Growing in bags is economical - with minimal use of the area, it is possible to collect a large crop.
For landing, bags made of dense, breathable fabric, for example, from granulated sugar or flour, are suitable. The edges of the bag are tucked up and filled with moist fertile soil with a layer of 20 cm. In the grooves up to 10 cm, sprouted tubers are sealed and 20 cm of soil is poured.
The bags are placed in a sunny place, near a fence or wall, and dripped. Plants are watered after the top layer of the earth dries out, and sprinkle it as they grow.
- potatoes do not rot and do not become infected with late blight;
- there is no need to carry out weeding and loosening.
- the need to apply a large amount of compost;
- constant monitoring of soil moisture.
Disease and pest control
The German cultivar is immune to cancer, golden potato nematode, wrinkled and banded mosaic, and leaf roll virus. According to the originator, tops and tubers are moderately resistant to late blight.
Late blight is most often manifested during the period of prolonged rains. On the leaves, brown spots of irregular shape are found, whitish bloom on the back. Dark spots are visible on the potatoes after digging.
For the prevention of the disease:
- tubers are treated with disinfecting solutions of potassium permanganate, copper sulfate;
- timely harvesting of weeds and potato tops;
- control the nitrogen content in the soil;
- fertilize plantings with potassium and phosphorus;
- do not allow waterlogging of the soil.
For treatment use drugs: "HOM", "Oxyhom", "Bravo", "Ridomil Gold".
Fungicides will help to cope with attacks of the Colorado potato beetle and wireworm: "Aktara", "Inta-Vir", "Protection", "Colorado potato beetle NO!", "Confidor", "Prestige", "Commander".
Folk methods against the Colorado potato beetle:
- dusting with birch ash (10 kg of ash per 1 m³);
- mulching the beds with fresh coniferous sawdust;
- spraying with celandine infusion (pour 1.5 kg of grass with 5 liters of boiling water, insist for 3-4 hours and add 1 liter of a 1.5% solution of calcium chloride);
- treatment with a solution of birch tar (100 ml of tar per 10 liters of water).
To combat the wireworm, infusions are used:
- nettle (500 g per 10 liters of water);
- dandelion (200 g per 10 liters of water);
- mother and stepmother (200 g per 10 liters of water);
- celandine (100 g per 10 l of water).
Collection, storage and use of the crop
- digging in the morning with sunny and dry weather;
- leave the tubers to dry until evening;
- peel the potatoes from the ground and put them in a warm, dry place for two weeks;
- sort out the tubers and discard the rotten ones, with signs of infection;
- completely collect the tops and weeds from the site;
- after two weeks, put the crop in boxes made of wood or plastic, nets, breathable bags;
- sprinkle the tubers with ash to prevent rotting;
- put beets or apples on top to absorb excess moisture.
reference... The optimum storage temperature for crops in the cellar is + 3 ... + 4 ° С
Red Fantasy potatoes have excellent taste, the flesh does not darken after boiling. They bake it, stew it, boilfried. The moderate starch content allows the variety to be used for dietary nutrition.
Tips from experienced gardeners and reviews
Reviews of Red Fantasy potatoes are positive. Gardeners love this variety for its unusual rich skin color and balanced taste.
Valentin, Krasny Yar: «I really like this German variety for its absolutely easy care and high yield. In addition, the bushes rarely get sick with late blight, which greatly facilitates their care. I fertilize the potatoes at the same time as watering.I laid hoses for drip irrigation on the site, and before supplying water I mix in liquid mineral fertilizing. In a bucket of 10 liters I dissolve 2 tsp. potassium salt, and add early in the morning. "
Igor, Saransk: "I plant fantasy potatoes when dandelions bloom. This is a sure sign that the soil is warm enough. I rarely close up tubers, since the bushes grow sprawling. With a thickened planting, the tubers will be small.
Veronica, Nizhnekamsk: "A friend introduced me to this wonderful variety. She and her husband grow potatoes for sale, and Red Fantasy is on the list of favorites. Its taste is excellent, it does not fall apart when cooking, it does not crumble when frying. It is stored for a long time in the cellar, does not germinate and does not rot. "
Red Fantasy is a highly productive German potato variety with strong immunity and excellent taste. The optimal starch content allows potatoes to be included in the diet menu and to prepare a variety of dishes from them. Buyers are primarily attracted by the unusual red color of the peel and rich yellow flesh. Farmers appreciate the culture for its ease of maintenance, high yield and long shelf life.