How to cook green tomatoes for the winter: simple yet unusual and delicious recipes from around the world
Green tomatoes - these are unripe fruits of tomatoes. Many do not risk using them and just throw them away. Yes, they cannot be consumed fresh, but conservation is just what you need.
We will tell you more about the properties of such tomatoes and offer recipes for their preparation in this article.
The content of the article
- Is it okay to eat green tomatoes
- The best recipes for blanks from green tomatoes
- Green tomatoes for the winter "Lick your fingers"
- Stuffed green tomatoes in jars
- Korean green tomatoes for the winter
- Green tomato caviar
- Spicy green tomatoes with garlic
- Pickled tomatoes "Like barrel"
- Pickled tomatoes in a quick way
- Green tomato salad for the winter
- Georgian green tomatoes
- Sliced green tomatoes
- Cooking tips and tricks
Is it okay to eat green tomatoes
You cannot eat fresh unripe tomatoes - it is fraught with poisoning, but properly processed and properly cooked - it is possible and even necessary. Green canned tomatoes can be consumed by everyone who has no contraindications.
Composition and properties
The chemical composition of green tomatoes is different from ripe ones.
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- calorie content - 23 kcal;
- proteins - 1 g;
- fats - 0.1 g;
- carbohydrates - 5 g.
In addition, they contain minerals - potassium and copper, vitamins of group B, C, K, PP, E and carotene, phytoncides.
Attention! There are few vitamins in green fruits. Only vitamin C is available in sufficient quantity.
In addition to the beneficial ones, green tomatoes also contain poisons:
- Solanin. This glycoalkoloid is found in all green unripe fruits of the nightshade family; it is destroyed during heat treatment. Poisoning occurs when 200-400 mg of a substance enters the body.
- Tomatin. This element is specific and is found only in unripe tomatoes. For poisoning, 25 mg of tomato is enough. The lethal dose is 350 mg. But there is not much of it in tomatoes, so poisoning with it is rare.
Also unripe tomatoes contain:
- lycopene - useful for eye diseases, normalizes blood pressure, is not toxic, but in large quantities can change the color of the skin;
- serotonin - known as the "happiness hormone", has a beneficial effect on the human brain.
Benefit and harm
Green tomatoes are beneficial for acid-base imbalance, bowel diseases, they can be used for varicose veins.
They are not suitable for those who are allergic to this product, diseases of the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, blood vessels and heart. Contraindicated in pregnancy and lactation.
The best recipes for blanks of green tomatoes
We offer the most simple, delicious and popular recipes for green tomatoes that will help you apply such a seemingly unsightly product.
Green tomatoes for the winter "Lick your fingers"
The preparation is delicious and easy to do.
- unripe tomatoes - 1 kg;
- parsley, dill and currant leaves - 50 g;
- white onion - 1 head;
- garlic - 3-4 cloves.
For the marinade:
- table vinegar - 70 ml;
- black pepper - 2-3 peas;
- bay leaf - 2 pcs.;
- water - 1 l;
- salt - 0.5 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l .;
- sunflower oil - 15 g.
- Prepare the fill. To do this, pour sugar and salt into the water. Then wait a little for them to dissolve.
- Put a container of water on the stove, add bay leaf and peppercorns there, boil the marinade. Remove from heat and add vinegar.
- Take a sterilized dry liter jar, put chopped garlic and herbs on the bottom. Also add oil.
- After that, lay the tomatoes, and then the onions in rings or half rings. If the tomatoes are too large, cut them into pieces.
- Pour the marinade over the contents of the jar, but it must be hot.
- Then sterilize the workpiece directly in the jar for 20 minutes in a water bath.
The tomatoes are ready to roll. Keep can be in any convenient place.
Stuffed green tomatoes in jars
Unripe tomatoes can be stuffed with any vegetables. However, the most delicious option comes from peppers, herbs and garlic.
For preparation for one liter jar you will need:
- green tomatoes - 10 pcs.;
- water - 1 l;
- parsley and dill - a bunch;
- sweet Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 2 heads;
- salt - 15 g;
- sugar - 20 g;
- sunflower oil - 30 ml;
- table vinegar - 30 ml;
- peppercorns - 2 pcs.;
- lavrushka - 1 leaf;
- coriander to taste;
- pepper seasoning - 0.5 tsp
- Cut the pepper into small slices. Squeeze the garlic through a press, chop the herbs. Combine ingredients.
- Take a clean sterilized jar, put bay leaves, coriander, peppercorns, and seasoning from a mixture of peppers on the bottom.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise, but not completely. Open the tomatoes a little and add the prepared filling in them.
- Put the tomatoes in a jar. Then pour oil and vinegar there, add salt and sugar.
- After that, pour hot water over the workpiece, so that its level is about 1 cm from the edge of the can.
- Place the jar in a container of water and sterilize for about 15 minutes from the moment it boils.
After the procedure, roll up the jar with a metal lid, turn it over and cover with a blanket. Let cool for 6-7 hours. Then put it away for storage.
Korean green tomatoes for the winter
This appetizer uses carrots, also a condiment for Korean carrots. The workpiece is sterilized, so it is suitable for long-term storage.
For tomatoes in Korean you will need:
- unripe tomatoes - 1.5 kg;
- carrots - 250 g;
- bulgarian pepper - 5 pcs.;
- hot pepper - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 1.5 heads;
- hot white onions - 2 pcs.;
- sunflower oil - 120 ml;
- vinegar - 60 ml;
- salt - 45 g;
- sugar - 15 g;
- Korean-style carrot seasoning - 5 g.
Cook as follows:
- Cut the bell pepper into thin short strips, after removing the seeds, and hot pepper - as small as possible.
- Chop the onion into thin rings or half rings.
- Grind the carrots on a grater for Korean carrots, a regular one with large holes is also suitable.
- Pass the garlic through a garlic press or cut into thin slices.
- Wash tomatoes, wipe, cut into pieces.
- Mix all vegetables and add seasoning.
- Put the resulting vegetable mixture in a large container, pour in oil, vinegar, salt and sugar. Let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Put the mixture in prepared liter jars and cover with lids.
- Sterilize the cans 15-20 minutes after boiling. Then roll up the lids and store in any convenient place.
Green tomato caviar
Incredibly delicious caviar will be a good snack in winter. It will require the following components:
- unripe tomatoes - 2 kg;
- white onions - 10 pcs.;
- carrots - 10 pcs.;
- garlic - 4-5 heads;
- sugar - 8 tbsp. l .;
- tomato sauce - 4 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- chopped paprika - 2 tsp;
- sunflower oil - 200 ml;
- ground pepper - 3 tsp;
- table vinegar - 4 tbsp. l ..
- Wash the tomatoes, cut into pieces and roll in mashed potatoes using a food processor or meat grinder.
- Pour vegetable oil into a container, put tomato puree and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Chop onions and carrots in a food processor or using a meat grinder, add them to the tomatoes. Mix everything and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Then put salt, sugar, paprika, tomato paste and chopped garlic into a saucepan. Stir and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- For a more homogeneous mass, pass the caviar through a blender. After all the manipulations, add vinegar to the resulting mass, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Now you can lay out the workpiece in pre-prepared sterilized jars and roll up with metal lids.
Spicy green tomatoes with garlic
The tomatoes in this recipe are cooked in slices, but if the tomatoes are small, then you can put them whole.
Important! The snack can be eaten within 12 hours after preparation.
She will need the following products:
- green tomatoes - 2 kg;
- hot chili pepper - 6 pods;
- bulgarian pepper - 4 pcs.;
- garlic - 2 heads;
- vinegar 9% - 100 ml;
- sugar - 4 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- vegetable oil - 100 ml;
- ground red pepper - to taste.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them into several parts, removing the attachment points of the stalks.
- Peel the chili peppers, chop finely. Also, peel the bell pepper from the seeds and cut it into strips.
- Take a saucepan, put tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers in it, put garlic passed through a press on top.
- Pour salt, sugar, red ground pepper there, add parsley or dill if desired.
- Then add oil and vinegar. Mix the resulting mass well and let it brew for half an hour.
After that, put the workpiece in clean sterilized jars, close the lids and put in the refrigerator.
Pickled tomatoes "Like barrel"
Consider a simple recipe for making pickled green tomatoes that taste like barrel tomatoes.
For cooking you will need:
- parsley - a bunch;
- garlic - large head;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l .;
- horseradish - a few leaves;
- water - 3 l;
- unripe tomatoes - NIS 15;
- celery - several stalks.
- Put chopped greens at the bottom of a sterilized three-liter jar.
- Peel and clove the garlic. Then crush it with a knife and distribute it evenly on the bottom of the can.
- Pour a liter of water into a container and boil it along with salt.
- Let the water cool slightly, then pour over the herbs and garlic.
- Wash the tomatoes and put them in a jar.
- After that, add boiled chilled water to a jar of tomatoes and close with a nylon lid.
- Put the jar in a cold place, and after 20 days the tomatoes will be ready.
Pickled tomatoes in a quick way
The easiest way pickles such tomatoes - the usual rolling.
Important! For this recipe, it is best to use medium to small tomatoes.
- green tomatoes - 10-15 pcs.;
- water - 3 l;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l .;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- pepper - 4-5 peas;
- dill - to taste;
- onion - 1 head;
- vinegar - 1 tbsp. l ..
- Rinse tomatoes, prepare jars.
- To cook brineby boiling water with salt and sugar.
- Put horseradish, garlic, several tomatoes, then chopped onion and dill on the bottom of the jar. After that, put the remaining tomatoes, put horseradish on them and throw peppercorns into the jar.
- Pour the tomatoes with a hot solution of salt and sugar. Cover but do not roll up. Wait 20 minutes.
- After that, drain the water, boil it again and pour it back into the jar. Add vinegar and roll up with a metal lid.
- Turn the jar over, cover with a blanket and put in a secluded place overnight.
Green tomato salad for the winter
For such a delicious salad, you will need the following products:
- bulgarian pepper - 2 pcs.;
- onion - 2 heads;
- green tomatoes - 6 pcs.;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l. without top;
- parsley - a bunch;
- vinegar - 6 tbsp. l .;
- seasonings to taste.
- Wash and peel all vegetables.
- Chop the parsley and mix with salt.
- Chop the onion into half rings, chop the pepper into thin strips, and chop the tomatoes into slices.
- Put all ingredients in a cup and mix well, add seasonings and vinegar.
- Put the salad in the refrigerator for a day. Then put it in the banks.
Georgian green tomatoes
For this recipe, take the following ingredients:
- green tomatoes - 5 kg;
- celery greens - 700 g;
- garlic - 400 g;
- hot chili pepper - 40 g;
- parsley - 50 g;
- lavrushka - 4 leaves;
- water - 5 l;
- salt - 350 g.
- Rinse the herbs and chop finely.
- Remove seeds from hot peppers and chop into small pieces. Chop the garlic. Mix everything.
- Cut the tomatoes in half on the side so that they do not fall apart.
- Put the cooked mass in the tomatoes and place in a large container.
- After a layer of tomatoes, put herbs with lavrushka.
- Prepare the brine. Pour salt into the water and boil until completely dissolved. Cool afterwards.
- Put a load on top of the tomatoes, then pour them with the cooled marinade.
- Cover the container with tomatoes with a clean cloth and leave at room temperature for several days. Then transfer to a cold room with a temperature of 0 ... -1C °.
After 2 weeks, fill the container to the brim with brine and close the lid. After another 10 days, the tomatoes will be ready.
Sliced green tomatoes
For this recipe, you need green tomatoes with dense skin.
You will need the following products:
- tomatoes - 600 g;
- lavrushka - 2 pcs.;
- black and allspice peppercorns - 15 pcs.;
- ground red pepper - 3 g;
- onion - 1 pc.;
- vinegar - 75 ml;
- water - 0.5 l;
- salt - 50 g;
- sugar - 100 g
- Wash the tomatoes, cut into slices. Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Boil water with salt and sugar, cool, add vinegar.
- Combine tomatoes with onions and spices, pour with brine. Put in the refrigerator overnight.
- Then drain the fill. Then boil it again.
- Put the tomatoes in jars and cover with hot brine.
- Close the jars hermetically and store.
Cooking tips and tricks
When choosing unripe tomatoes for culinary blanks are guided by their size. It is best to use medium-sized or slightly larger tomatoes.
To completely get rid of solanine, tomatoes are kept in salt water for several hours before starting cooking - this guarantees complete safety.
To correctly select the size of the container for preparing the blanks, you need to know the exact amount of ingredients and the shelf life of the snack.
Blanks with unripe tomatoes are in stable demand in winter. Preparing food and cooking takes a little time, but if you follow all the recommendations, you will get delicious preparations that will delight your family and friends.