How did the “Riddle” variety appear and how is it good for a summer resident
Early ripe tomato varieties are grown for harvest in mid-summer. The ultra-early variety Riddle, which ripens 80-85 days from the moment of germination, is especially popular among gardeners. The culture is not susceptible to late blight infection and is genetically protected from most viruses and fungi.
The content of the article
- The history of breeding varieties
- Description and characteristics of the culture
- Pros and cons
- Growing technology
- Prevention of diseases and pests
- The nuances of growing in open ground and in a greenhouse
- Harvesting and application of the crop
The history of breeding varieties
Tomato Zagadka is an ultra-early variety of Russian selection for open and closed ground... Culture is not included in the State Register. Plasmas (St. Petersburg) is engaged in seed production. Scientists and technologists have developed a unique plasma technology for treating seeds using an electric charge in a gas. How it works? Seed material is immersed in a processing chamber, where it is treated with ionized gas.
- improved germination and increased vigor of growth;
- improving the taste characteristics of fruits;
- increased resistance to fungi and bacteria;
- increased productivity;
- increasing the shelf life of seeds.
The photo shows the Riddle variety.
Description and characteristics of the culture
The table shows the distinctive features of the variety.
|The form||Slightly ribbed, flat-round|
|Coloration||Bright red, no green spot at the stalk|
|Bush height||30-40 cm|
|Leaves||Medium, light green|
|Skin||Dense, does not crack|
|Number of nests||5-6|
|Appointment||For preservation and fresh consumption|
|Ripening period||80-85 days after germination|
|Yield||20-22 kg / m²|
|Sustainability||To verticillium, fusarium, tomato mosaic virus, cladosporium|
Pros and cons
The advantages of the variety:
- ultra early maturation;
- high productivity;
- resistance to major diseases of nightshade, lack of sunlight;
- the plant does not form stepchildren;
- the fruits have a pleasant sweet taste;
- universal purpose in cooking;
- bushes do not require a garter.
There were no drawbacks of the variety.
Interesting fact... Tomatoes have long been considered poisonous and inedible. In 1822, Colonel Robert Gibbon Johnson ate a bucket of tomatoes in front of a large public in front of a courthouse in Salem, New Jersey. The stunned crowd was surprised to find that the military did not die a painful death, and the tomato rapidly began to gain popularity.
Variety Riddle is grown through seedlings. After transfer to a permanent place, the standard cultivation technology is observed - moderate watering, mulching beds, weeding, soil loosening, fertilization.
Sowing seeds for seedlings is carried out in the last days of March - early April. Seed material from the manufacturer undergoes plasma processing in production and does not need additional disinfection and germination.
Hand-picked varietal seeds are processed:
- calibrated by soaking in a saline solution (1 teaspoon of salt per 200 ml of water), the specimens floating on the surface are thrown away;
- the seeds remaining at the bottom are washed with running water and immersed in a slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate;
- to protect against mold and fungi, the seeds are soaked in a solution of the preparation "Baikal EM" (5 drops per 200 ml of water);
- to increase germination, seeds are soaked in a solution of "Epin Extra", "Zircon", "Radifarm", "Heteroauxin", "Biostim".
To grow tomato seedlings, use a ready-made substrate from gardening stores or prepare a soil mixture yourself. In a large bucket, mix 70% turf, 15% peat, humus and river sand, 500 ml of wood ash. The substrate is disinfected in the oven or watered with a strong solution of potassium permanganate or copper sulfate.
Sowing seedlings and care
Any containers for seedlings are suitable - tetrapacks, trays, containers, special boxes, pots. The container is 2/3 filled with soil mixture and the seeds are sealed to a depth of 2-3 cm, watered with warm water and covered with polyethylene to create a greenhouse effect. The containers are placed in a dark, warm place and wait for shoots.
After the first leaves appear, the film is removed, the seedlings are transferred to a lighted window sill on the south side of the house. During the initial stage of growing, the seedlings are provided with sufficient sunlight. The optimal daylight hours are 15-16 hours.
The pick is carried out at the stage of 1-2 true leaves.
Watering the seedlings is moderate, once every 5-7 days.
After the daytime air temperature reaches + 10 ° C, the seedlings are taken out to the balcony for 15-25 minutes for hardening. This increases resistance to temperature extremes in open ground or in a greenhouse. daily exposure time is increased by 30 minutes.
Before transferring to a permanent place, seedlings are fed with mineral complexes.
Recipe first feeding for 1 liter of water:
- urea - 0.5 g;
- potassium salt - 1.5 g;
- superphosphate - 4 g.
Recipe for the second feeding:
- superphosphate - 4 g;
- ammonium nitrate - 0.6 g;
- potassium sulfate - 2 g.
Interval between dressing - 15 days.
Planting seedlings in the ground
The seedlings are transferred to the garden or greenhouse after 55-70 days. It is important to make sure that the threat of night frost is over. Landing is carried out in cloudy calm weather in the afternoon or evening. The place is chosen on the south side, protected from drafts.
The plot is prepared in the fall - they dig up and add humus. In the spring, the soil is re-loosened and watered with copper sulfate to prevent nightshade diseases. The wells are formed at a depth of 15-20 cm, 10 g of superphosphate are placed in each.
The planting scheme is 60x30 cm. 6 to 9 bushes are placed on 1 m². The seedlings are removed from the containers and, together with the earthen lump, are transferred into the holes. A layer of soil is poured on top and lightly tamped. Cotyledon leaves are left on the surface.
After transplanting, the seedlings are watered twice with warm, settled water.
In regions with a cool climate, tomato seedlings Riddle are covered with black agrofibre to protect them from frost. This allows the seedlings to take root. PVC tubes are used for the frame. They bend easily to any shape. The film is periodically lifted to air the seedlings.
Planting care rules:
- Regularly watered with clean water after sunset under the root after the top layer of the soil dries. Before the ovaries appear, 1-2 times every 10 days is enough. The best way to organize watering of tomatoes is to install a drip system.
- The soil is loosened after each watering so that a dense crust does not appear on the surface, which makes it difficult to aerate the root system.
- Weeds are weeded as they grow, preventing plants from rooting.
- The beds are mulched - this stops the growth of weeds and retains moisture in the soil. Sawdust, straw, hay, peat are used as mulch.
- Tomatoes are fed 2-3 times during the entire growing season. For this, complex fertilizers containing potassium, sodium, phosphorus and organic matter are used.
- 10-14 days after planting, the tomatoes are fed with a solution of ammonium nitrate (10-20 g per 10 l of water).
- During the budding period, a solution of manure with azofoska is introduced (20 g per 10 l of solution).
- 2 weeks after the second feeding, the beds are watered with a mineral solution (15 g of ammonium nitrate, 25 g of potassium sulfate).
Prevention of diseases and pests
Due to the early ripening, the Riddle tomatoes are not susceptible to infection late blight, and at the genetic level are protected from verticillosis, fusarium, tomato mosaic virus, cladosporiosis. Nevertheless, in order to prevent planting, they protect against nightshade diseases:
- observe crop rotation;
- ventilate greenhouses;
- treat the soil with copper sulfate;
- disinfect the seed in a solution of potassium permanganate;
- maintain the optimum humidity level in the greenhouse (70–80%);
- follow the rules of watering;
- mulch the beds;
- remove the lower leaves;
- plantings are treated with Integral, Fitosporin.
Tomatoes Riddle are susceptible to attacks by the Colorado potato beetle, spider mite, whitefly. Insecticides are highly effective: Fitoverm, Strela, Decis Profi, Flumayt, Confidor, Borneo, Iskra.
To combat the gnawing scoop, apply:
- biological product "Lepidocide";
- contact chemical "Decis Expert";
- insecticide "Proclame".
Those who do not accept the use of chemicals for processing tomatoes use folk remedies against insects:
- infusion of garlic - 400 g of chopped slices per 3 liters of water, leave for 5 days, strain and finish off 50 g of shavings of laundry soap;
- wormwood decoction - 500 g of herbs per 5 liters of boiling water, leave for 3 days and dilute the concentrated liquid with water 1:10;
- herbal infusion - 50 g of celandine, 70 g of tobacco dust, 50 g of wormwood, 100 g of chopped garlic per 10 liters of boiling water, leave for 24 hours, stir in 30 g of tar soap shavings.
The shavings of soap are used to better adhere the herbal infusions to the foliage. Spraying is carried out once every 10 days.
The nuances of growing in open ground and in a greenhouse
On the territory of Russia, the tomato variety Riddle is grown everywhere:
- in the south - in open ground;
- in central regions - in greenhouses or greenhouses without a heating system;
- in the north - in glass greenhouses with heating.
The plant does not form side shoots, so it does not need pinching. There is also no need to tie the bushes, however, some gardeners recommend tying up the stems if large fruits are formed on them so that they do not lie on the ground. To do this, next to the bush, low wooden stakes are installed and brushes with jute tomatoes are tied.
Harvesting and application of the crop
Fruits are harvested after reaching technical ripeness in late June - early July. The large amount of sugar makes tomatoes sweet and tasty. The fruits will appeal to connoisseurs of tomatoes without sourness. They are suitable for preparing fresh salads, pasta sauces, snacks, vegetable soups. The dense skin does not crack during heat treatment, which allows pickling tomatoes in vinegar.
The fruits retain their attractive appearance for 20-30 days if stored in a cool place. To extend the shelf life, tomatoes are recommended to be picked with a stalk.
Reviews of gardeners about the Riddle variety are more than positive.
Ivan, Vyazma: “Characteristics and description of the tomato variety The riddle presented on the package is true. I prefer to plant early varieties in a greenhouse, and mid-season varieties in a vegetable garden. I like the puzzle because of its high yield and resistance to diseases. For three years of cultivation, the bushes never got sick with late blight. The plant sprouts friendly shoots, tomatoes are almost the same size, very tasty, sweet, suitable for pickling. The skin is firm but not tough. "
Sofia, Voronezh: “The Riddle variety (not to be confused with the Riddle of Nature) is one of the best varieties of domestic selection. I have been growing it for four years in a row and have not had any problems with it.I buy seeds from the manufacturer, so I don't carry out pre-sowing treatment. Seedlings are strong, do not get sick. After a week of hardening, I plant it in the garden. It is important to provide moderate watering and feed with minerals, then the harvest will be great. "
Dmitry, Ivanovo: “I chose the Riddle tomatoes for their simplicity in care and lack of acid. They are ideal for winter preparations and seasonal salads. The diameter of the fruits is small, so they fit into the jar without any problems. I pick the tomatoes as soon as they start to blush, and ripen on the windowsill. I keep it in the cellar for about a month. "
An ultra-early tomato variety Riddle is ideal for those who want to harvest in the middle of summer. Low-growing bushes do not need to be tied up - they do this only in the case of the formation of large fruits. The plant does not form side shoots, so it does not need pinching, which greatly facilitates care. Tomatoes grow small in size, have an attractive bright red color, juicy and sweet pulp, dense but tender skin.
The culture is unpretentious in maintenance, requires only moderate watering, regular loosening of the soil and removal of weeds, the introduction of organic and mineral top dressing... The fruit is ideal for making winter spins and fresh consumption.