Is it possible to eat watermelon during early and late pregnancy
During pregnancy, every expectant mother tries to eat right, consume more vitamins, fruits and vegetables. But what about the watermelon? During the period of carrying a baby, a woman increases the risk of getting swelling. Let's figure out if watermelon is beneficial during pregnancy or if it should be excluded from the diet.
The content of the article
- Drinking watermelon during pregnancy
- Is it possible to eat watermelon during pregnancy
- Consumption rates per day
- In what cases is watermelon contraindicated for pregnant women?
- Unusual watermelon recipes for pregnant women
Drinking watermelon during pregnancy
Every expectant mother wants to bring only benefit to her baby. For this reason, she begins to be sensitive to the use of all products, especially to watermelon... Is it possible to eat a berry during pregnancy is a controversial issue that needs to be sorted out.
Points for and against
The watermelon must be natural. When grown, it is fertilized with chemicals that will subsequently adversely affect the general condition. Therefore, nitrate watermelons for expectant mothers are strictly prohibited.
To prevent any problems, you must choose the right berry:
- They buy watermelons at the end of summer.
- A quality product has an uneven shade inside.
- The veins must be white and thin.
It is also important to remember that it is not only nitrates that are harmful, but also microbes. They develop in extreme heat. Before use, the berry must be washed with soap. It is better to buy only the whole product. The cut berries are stored in the refrigerator for no more than a day.
The benefits and harms of fetuses for pregnant women
Watermelon is very beneficial for any organism. Most of it consists of water, but the red pulp is saturated with useful substances.
The fruit contains the following components:
- Vitamins A - 1.9%, C - 7.8%, B1 - 2.7%, B2 - 3.3%, PP - 1.5%.
- Magnesium - 3%, potassium - 4.4%, sodium - 1.2%, iron - 5.6%, calcium - 1.4%, copper - 4.2%, zinc - 0.8%.
- Organic acids.
- Fiber - 0.4 g per 100 g.
Watermelon is very beneficial for a pregnant woman. Even doctors advise using it, but only if there are no contraindications.
The positive effect of the berry is as follows:
- Cleans the body of toxins, salts and toxins.
- Removes excess fluid, prevents edema.
- It has a positive effect on the nervous system.
- Provides the body of a woman and her unborn child with useful substances.
- Helps cope with iron deficiency anemia.
- It has a positive effect on metabolism and the functioning of the digestive system.
The harm of the berry is as follows:
- Eating too much watermelon can cause diarrhea.
- Increases the tone of the uterus.
- Excessive consumption leads to edema.
Is it possible to eat watermelon during pregnancy
Before consuming berries during pregnancy, you should consult your doctor. If there are no contraindications, you can eat, but in certain quantities.
Reference. You should not buy a watermelon earlier than August, because it may contain nitrates and chemicals that negatively affect the body of the expectant mother.
In the early stages
The first dates are the most important, since the fetus is just beginning to develop. All major organs are forming. Watermelon will be beneficial if it is environmentally friendly.
The product is consumed with caution - 2-4 slices a day 3 times a week are enough.
At a later date
The fruit is already formed, so you can eat the watermelon. The main thing is not to exceed the norm, because.during these periods, the load on the female body increases several times.
This is especially true for expectant mothers who are 30 weeks or more.
In the 1st trimester, the product can and should be eaten, since its rich composition saturates the body with useful components and vitamins. In the 1st and 2nd trimester, you can consume no more than 500 g of pulp in the morning and afternoon.
The product is especially useful in the 3rd trimester. It copes with edema, reduces the risk of complications. It is advisable to consume no more than 4 slices a day.
It is interesting:
Consumption rates per day
Recommended to eat no more than 300 g per day (3 small slices). If a woman overeats, it is better to refuse the product for a couple of days.
In what cases is watermelon contraindicated for pregnant women?
Watermelon is not harmful for the expectant mother. But there are a number of cases when it is undesirable to eat it.
Why pregnant women shouldn't have a watermelon:
- The presence of allergies (individual intolerance).
- Digestive system problems.
- Presence of kidney stones or problems with fluid outflow.
- Diabetes mellitus (watermelon contains a large amount of fructose and sucrose).
Watermelon for edema
Swelling is very often manifested during the carrying of a baby. Most often occur in the 3rd trimester. Before using the product for edema, it is necessary to identify the cause of their appearance.
These can be natural processes occurring in the body (a heavy load on the kidneys), as well as climatic features (high humidity, temperature).
Watermelon with edema is allowed, because it will help remove excess fluid. But if pregnancy is accompanied by complications, it is better to exclude the berry from the diet.
Watermelon poisoning during pregnancy
Signs of poisoning:
- Loss of strength.
- Diarrhea, vomiting, visual impairment.
- Frequent dizziness, headaches.
- Temperature increase.
Pregnant women are often poisoned by watermelon. In this case, an ambulance is urgently called. If you do not consult a doctor in time, poisoning will negatively affect the body, it can provoke a miscarriage.
Reference. While the victim is waiting for the doctor to arrive, you can drink activated charcoal or other sorbent that is allowed for pregnant women.
Unusual watermelon recipes for pregnant women
The berries are used to make drinks, salads, desserts and snacks. Each of the recipes will benefit a pregnant woman and her baby.
There are 2 of the tastiest and most refreshing drinks that you can prepare quickly and easily.
Milk and watermelon cocktail
This drink will save you on a hot and sunny day. Add ice cubes if desired.
- milk - 250 ml;
- watermelon - 150 g;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l.
- Peel the berry and chop finely.
- Add milk and watermelon to the blender bowl. Then add sugar.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Decorate with berries. Serve chilled.
Watermelon juice with mint
Watermelon juice with mint is a favorite drink of many people. It is the easiest to prepare.
- watermelon - 250-300 g;
- mint - a few branches;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l.
- Cut the berries into cubes.
- Place in a blender, add 1/4 tbsp. water, mint. Beat everything thoroughly.
- Remove the pulp through a sieve, strain the juice.
- Put the liquid in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Add sugar to taste. Mix.
- Serve with ice and mint leaves.
It is interesting:
Pregnancy is the most eventful and difficult time for a woman, especially during the summer season. During this period, you want to pamper yourself with something fresh and cool. Most people prefer to consume watermelon.
It contains a large amount of useful substances, it has a beneficial effect on the body.The most important thing is to consult a doctor before use and not to exceed the specified rate.