Domestic and imported bush marrow varieties: the most popular representatives and their features
Until the 16th century, because of the bright and beautiful flowers, zucchini was used exclusively as an ornamental plant. Today, this vegetable is found in every vegetable garden. The fruits have a pleasant neutral taste and a rich vitamin composition.
In the article we will consider the best varieties of bush zucchini for open ground. We will find out what their specificity is and how to grow them correctly.
The content of the article
What is the peculiarity of bush zucchini
The main feature of bush zucchini lies in their name. - they grow in bushes, and do not curl like other varieties. Thanks to this, less space is spent on planting, which is especially true for small personal plots. For 1 sq. m, no more than two plants are planted, while during growth the plants do not obscure each other with leaves and do not block the access of sunlight.
Interesting! Until the beginning of the twentieth century, zucchini was consumed only by the lower strata of the population. The product was several times cheaper than other vegetables.
What is the difference between bush zucchini
Fruits differ in color and shape: some varieties are yellow, others green. Some fruits are elongated and oblong, some are round and flattened. Zucchini differ in the number of fruits on the bush. There are dense, spreading varieties where 8-10 fruits grow at once on one plant. There are more compact, 2-4 zucchini.
Some bush varieties are planted using seedlings, some seeds in open ground... The planting method depends on the growing region and climatic conditions.
Most popular varieties
Gardeners choose varieties based on taste preferences, cultivation techniques, amount of harvest... Consider what varieties like summer residents the most.
Early ripe zucchini ripen in 40-50 days from the moment of planting... Varieties and hybrids are recommended for cultivation in northern regions with a short summer - vegetables are quickly removed from the beds so that they do not have time to get sick:
- Chaklun... Super early high-yielding zucchini ripens in 35-40 days. Bushes are powerful but compact. The foliage is dense, dark green. Fruits are cylindrical, oblong. The color is light green, length 20 cm, diameter 5-7 cm. The weight of one vegetable varies from 200 to 400 g. The pulp is light creamy, the taste is not pronounced. Zucchini is used for the preparation of canned and pickled salads, snacks and soups. The Chaklun variety is distinguished by its amicable return and long shelf life; in a cool and dark place, the crop can be stored until winter.
- Cavili F1... Zucchini belongs to hybrids, it is characterized by high cold resistance and immunity to diseases and pests. The first crop is harvested in 40-50 days. Fruits are cylindrical, light green color. The average weight of the fruit is about 300 g. The yield is stable, with 1 sq. M. m summer residents collect about 8-10 kg. The pulp is light in color, pleasant to the taste, not watery. Cavili F1 is perfect for processing into squash caviar.
- Iskander F1... The hybrid (pictured) shows the best yield in greenhouses or greenhouses. Bushes of medium height, foliage of a classic green color. The shape is elongated, the color is light green with a waxy coating. Zucchini weight about 600 g, length 20-25 cm. The pulp is tasty and juicy.Iskander F1 shows excellent yield, from 1 sq. m collect about 15-17 kg of fruit.
Mid-season zucchini ripen in 55-65 days... They are planted mainly in regions with a temperate climate. They are unpretentious in care, they are distinguished by high productivity.
- Zolotinka... The popular variety (photo below) is famous for its taste and marketable appearance. Fruits of rich yellow color ripen on compact bushes. The weight of the vegetable is about 300 g, some specimens reach 450 g. About 15 ripe vegetables are harvested from one plant. The taste is delicate and sweet, the pulp is ideal for baby and diet food. The rind is smooth and firm, so the zucchini can be stored for a long time. When preserved, the pulp remains firm and sweet.
- Kuand... The zucchini has an original color with light green and emerald stripes. Kuand ripens in 55-60 days from the moment of planting. The variety is cold-resistant, rarely sick. Fruit weight about 1 kg, elongated cylindrical shape. The flesh is firm and white, the rind is thin. It is recommended that the zucchini be processed in a short time after harvest, for example, canned snacks.
- Golden scallop... The fruits have a unique appearance: yellow lumpy zucchini stand out from other varieties. The germination of the variety is excellent, vegetables ripen together. Weight varies from 1.5 to 2 kg, peel of medium density. The pulp is creamy, juicy and sweet. It is versatile in application, appreciated for its high nutrient content.
Interesting! Zucchini is used not only for pickles and salads, but also muffins and pies are baked. The pulp of zucchini goes well with apples, honey, cinnamon. Some housewives even bake zucchini bread.
Late-ripening varieties ripen in 65 days or more... They are distinguished by high keeping quality and long shelf life. The zucchini are removed from the garden, wiped with a dry napkin and placed in a wooden box. The best storage place is a well-ventilated basement or cellar.
It can be useful:
Leaders among late varieties:
- Gribovsky Gold... The plant is climbing, the foliage is dense. Gribovsky gold is grown both in the north and in the southern regions. The variety is resistant to frost, bad weather and major crop diseases. The shape is cylindrical, oblong. The color is light green, the skin is glossy. The skin is firm, perfect for making winter platter.
- Delicacy... Refers to a variety of courgettes-zucchini. Dark green fruits (photo below) have a cylindrical shape and a smooth surface. The length of the vegetable is about 35 cm. The flesh is crispy and aromatic, universal in use. The delicacy tolerates long-distance transportation well.
- Spaghetti Raviollo... The pulp has a fibrous pulp that, when cut, resembles spaghetti. Fruits are large, round, weighing one up to 1.5 kg. The color is yellow, rich. Boiled zucchini is used, part of the crop is frozen for the winter. Spaghetti Raviollo has a pronounced, sweetish taste.
Features of agricultural technology and the choice of varieties for different regions
To obtain a rich harvest, it is recommended to grow bush squash in a seedling way.... To do this, the seeds are disinfected with a solution of potassium permanganate and placed in a container with soil. Seedlings are watered with warm water as they dry, fertilized with liquid organic fertilizers. Seedlings are planted in pre-dug beds in an early calm morning.
For 1 sq. m place no more than two bushes... Care consists of simple agrotechnical rules: watering the beds 1 time in 5 days, fertilizing with organic matter and minerals every 15 days. Before watering, they loosen the ground, remove weeds. This prevents weeds and insect pests.
Important! Zucchini are planted in warm and fertile lands.The beds are dug in advance, cleaned of the remnants of last year's plants. For fertilization, manure, ash, urea, superphosphate, ammonium nitrate are used. Before fertilizing, it is recommended to water the soil abundantly with warm water. Watering is stopped 2 weeks before harvesting.
Late-ripening varieties are chosen for Moscow and the Moscow region... During a long and warm summer, vegetables have time to gain maximum mass and juicy taste. Harvest in mid-late August. For Siberia and the Urals, varieties are chosen that are resistant to cold weather, frost, frequent rains and fogs. For reliability, vegetables are planted in greenhouse conditions so that the crop does not freeze due to sudden changes in the weather. The varieties are unpretentious in care, undemanding to the condition of the soil.
Important! Do I need to pinch bush squash? No, it is not necessary, as the fruits are formed on the central stem.
Bush squash does not require special care or knowledge of agricultural technology, the main thing is to water the beds in a timely manner and loosen the ground. In the southern regions, the varieties Zolotinka, Delicates, and Golden scallop are grown. They are great for preparing winter preparations and have a crispy flesh. For growing in unpredictable climates, choose cold-resistant vegetables of the Gribovsky Gold or Kuand varieties.
The advantage of bush squash is that more crops can be grown in a small area. Vegetables are used to prepare caviar, pickled snacks, pancakes and pies. Vegetables contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals that enhance the body's immunity.