Is it possible to eat raw zucchini: benefits and harms for the body, as well as recipes for dishes based on fresh vegetables
The main reason for the popularity of zucchini is its beneficial properties and great taste. This vegetable is widely used in cooking: it is fried, stewed, baked, pickled and prepared for the winter. Can you eat raw zucchini? In this article, we will answer this question and tell you whether a raw vegetable can be harmful to health.
The content of the article
Composition and properties of raw zucchini
Zucchini is a storehouse of nutrients. Almost 90% of it consists of water (therefore it is a mild diuretic), but it has a large vitamin composition and does not cause allergies. The calorie content of a raw vegetable is very low - 24 kcal, due to which it belongs to dietary products.
The zucchini contains mineral components:
- iron (the product helps with anemia);
- calcium and phosphorus (the vegetable strengthens teeth and bones, accelerates the healing of fractures);
The vitamin composition is no less diverse:
- PP (nicotinic acid) - 0.7 mg;
- A - 5 μg;
- B1 - 0.03 mg;
- B2 - 0.03 mg;
- B6 - 0.11 mg;
- C - 15 μg (strengthens the immune system);
- E - 0.1 mg.
Due to the biologically active components in the composition, zucchini has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system and lowers blood pressure (which is important for hypertension), and thanks to fiber, the vegetable normalizes the digestive tract and cleanses the body of toxins.
Juice from raw zucchini is highly valued by adherents of a healthy diet and is used both simply to quench thirst, and to replenish reserves of vitamins and minerals, as well as in times of stress as a soothing drink.
Benefit and harm
Any heat treatment of vegetables takes away a significant part of the nutrients. Therefore, vegetables that can be eaten without processing will provide more benefits.
For example, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes and onions can be eaten raw, but is zucchini on that list? The answer is clear: yes. There are a huge number of salads in which the main ingredient is fresh zucchini. It is in its raw form that this vegetable brings the maximum benefit to the human body.
The list of diseases in which a vegetable will have a positive effect is quite large. These include:
Obviously, raw zucchini can and should be included in the diet.
Let's consider what are its benefits and harms. Beneficial features:
- cleanses the intestines;
- normalizes blood sugar levels;
- removes salts from the body;
- has a choleretic effect;
- helps in the fight against excess weight;
- promotes the formation of blood cells.
A large number of useful properties does not mean that raw zucchini can be consumed by everyone and in unlimited quantities. Together with all the advantages, a vegetable can also harm health.
The disadvantages include the possible consequences:
- diarrhea, heaviness and vomiting in children under 5 years of age;
- destruction of enamel (people with sensitive teeth are especially at risk);
- laxative effect when consumed on an empty stomach;
- bloating and flatulence from overeating.
Zucchini are irreplaceable for the health of men. Thanks to such a trace element as iron, they increase the level of testosterone, which contributes to the growth of muscle mass, bone density, is responsible for sexual functions, and reduces the risk of oncology of the genitourinary organs.
For women, a raw vegetable is also useful: with its systematic use in food, the body will be enriched with vitamins, increased elasticity and improved skin condition.
In the absence of chronic diseases, there are no contraindications for eating raw zucchini. With increased acidity in the stomach, ulcers and gastritis, it is not recommended to use them, but you should not completely abandon the vegetable. After undergoing heat treatment, it will not cause any harm.
The presence of calcium in the composition does not allow its use by people suffering from kidney disease, since they may not be able to cope with the removal of calcium from the body.
The period of bearing a child is not included in the list of contraindications (if it is not related to indications for health reasons). Due to its composition, zucchini will only have a positive effect on the body of a pregnant woman and the formation of the fetus.
Important! Before consuming during pregnancy, consult your doctor about the advisability of including a raw vegetable in the diet.
Before adding raw zucchini to the diet, consider all contraindications. Be careful with the product in the children's diet and do not offer it to children under 5 years of age.
How to eat raw zucchini
Opt for young and immature fruits. They have a thin skin and no seeds in the pulp. Fresh vegetables are eaten unpeeled, since it is in the peel that most of the vitamins are contained.
Choosing the right product is important for raw consumption. The best period to buy is May-June, when the vegetable is maximally saturated with vitamins and minerals.
Important! The zucchini must be of the correct shape and small in size. If there are dark spots on the surface, you should discard the product.
You can cook a huge number of dishes from zucchini, but they all involve heat treatment. But raw options are not so many: they are added to salads and light snacks are made.
Step by step recipes
All recipes for salads and snacks using raw zucchini are quite simple to prepare, the dishes have a light and summer taste, and are low in calories. Another plus - they do not require large financial costs, because almost all the ingredients grow in the garden.
"From the garden" salad
- zucchini - 0.4 kg;
- carrots - 0.2 kg;
- cucumbers - 0.2 kg;
- onions - 0.1 kg;
- olive oil - 1 tbsp the spoon;
- greens to taste.
- Three grated zucchini, carrots and cucumbers.
- Cut the onion into rings.
- We mix all the ingredients and fill with oil.
- Decorate with herbs to taste.
This dish will be a delicious side dish for meat.
- zucchini - 2 pcs.;
- basil - 1 bunch;
- juice of one lemon;
- olive oil - 1 tbsp the spoon;
- black pepper to taste;
- chili pepper - 0.5 pcs.
- Cut the zucchini into thin slices.
- Chop the basil, squeeze out the garlic.
- Add all ingredients to the courgettes.
- Season with lemon juice and stir.
The taste will be richer if the salad is left in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Garlic and honey salad
The wonderful combination of the sweetness of honey and the bitterness of garlic will not leave you indifferent.
- zucchini - 1 pc.;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- honey - 2 tsp;
- vegetable oil - 50 ml;
- salt, pepper to taste;
- dill - 1 bunch;
- vinegar 9% - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Cut the zucchini into thin rings.
- Add salt and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Chop the garlic and dill.
- Mix oil, honey, vinegar and pepper.
- Drain the zucchini and add all the ingredients to it.
It takes at least 30 minutes for the products to taste exchange. At this time, put the dish in the refrigerator, tightly closing the lid.
Zucchini salad with tomatoes
The lightest summer salad.
- zucchini - 0.2 kg;
- tomatoes - 0.3 kg;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- juice of half a lemon;
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- salt, sugar and pepper to taste;
- dill and basil.
- Cut the courgette into thin slices.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes.
- Make a dressing with lemon juice, vegetable oil, pepper and sugar.
- Combine vegetables, salt and squeeze garlic.
- Add dressing to vegetables.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped dill and basil on top.
You can eat salad in unlimited quantities and not worry about your figure.
If you are bored with Korean carrots, then surprise your loved ones with an unusual option for cooking zucchini.
- zucchini - 1 kg;
- bell pepper - 1 pc.;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- sunflower oil - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- vinegar 9% - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- red pepper - 0.5 tsp;
- coriander - 1 tsp;
- salt and sugar to taste.
- Cut the zucchini into thin half rings.
- Grate the carrots and cut the pepper into cubes.
- Mix vegetables, let it brew for 15 minutes.
- Combine oil, vinegar, pepper, coriander, salt and sugar.
- Drain the juice from the vegetables and add the dressing.
- Put in the refrigerator for several hours.
If you do not have any contraindications, chronic kidney and stomach diseases, you must include raw zucchini in your diet. They will enrich the body with vitamins and minerals, help to cope with excess weight, cleanse toxins and toxins and, best of all, will delight you with an interesting refreshing taste.