Cold method of pickling cucumbers: recipes
Cold pickled cucumbers are an indispensable product on the table, especially in winter. They turn out to be spicy, crispy and very tasty, they go perfectly with potato and cereal dishes, fried meat and stewed fish. Without sterilization, the product retains almost all useful elements. There are a lot of recipes for cold salting, and each of them requires strict adherence to the instructions.
The content of the article
General recommendations for pickling cucumbers
The right time for pickling cucumbers is mid-July. To make the pickles juicy, crispy and stand until spring, it is important to competently approach the selection of raw materials.
When self-growing vegetables, seeds for planting are purchased with the mark "pickling". Usually these varieties are characterized by small size, regular oval shape and mild, delicate taste. They have few seeds (about 20%), thin skin and dense flesh without voids, and the surface is covered with many thorny pimples. During washing, the thorns fall off, opening the tops of the tubercles. As a result, the skin becomes porous, making the cucumber salted faster.
When buying vegetables for pickling, experienced housewives choose young and elastic fruits 9-13 cm long, no more than 4 cm in diameter and always covered with black thorns. Their quality is checked by lightly pressing on the skin with a fingernail. If they are fresh, the thin, elastic skin will burst with such an action.
Damaged, overgrown, with obvious curvatures should not be salted. Due to a violation of the integrity of the product, the product may deteriorate, and the overgrowths with a large number of seeds are not so dense and crunchy in taste.
Reference. Zelentsy, intended for salting, do not turn yellow for a long time, therefore, during long-distance transportation, they do not lose quality.
When making pickles and to obtain aromatic and crispy products, experienced housewives use the following tricks:
- Some varieties are light bitterness... To get rid of it, cucumbers are soaked in cold water for 2-3 hours.
- Then they are thoroughly washed and dried on a regular table towel. They put in jars dry, without residues of running water.
- Water for brine is taken from well, spring or filtered, chlorinated from the tap is not suitable.
- Use stone, non-iodized salt.
- To get a crunch, currant, cherry, oak leaves, horseradish root, sometimes add vodka.
- To improve the taste, dill, parsley, carrots, onions, garlic, mustard seeds, basil, marigolds are used, which add spice to canned food. Mustard grains give the cucumbers their density, garlic makes them slightly softer.
How to cold pickle for the winter
Salting cucumbers without boiling water (cold method) is much easier and faster than using the classic method. This is a suitable option for housewives who save their time.
What is the essence of the cold way
When clogged in this way, vegetables are not doused with boiling water several times and do not sterilize, and poured with cold brine. It retains all the beneficial substances of cucumbers, while boiling water destroys many of them.
Vegetables are very different in taste from hot workpieces. Many lovers of cold pickles claim that such cucumbers are more tasty and fragrant.
For clogging, nylon caps are usually used.
Cold Pickled Cucumber Recipes
Cold pickling is the easiest way to marinate. If done correctly, the method ensures that the cans will not explode.
Crispy cucumbers with water
To prepare pickles, you will need to prepare the following products (for 1 liter jar):
- cucumbers - 600 g;
- allspice - 3 pcs.;
- peppercorns - 5 pcs.;
- hot pepper - 1 pod;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- garlic - 1 clove;
- dill - 1 umbrella.
- The cucumbers are thoroughly washed and left in cold water for 1.5 hours.
- Banks are washed with soda. Dill, garlic and all the pepper are placed on the bottom. After that, the jar is tightly filled with cucumbers.
- To prepare the brine, water is poured into a mug and salt is dissolved in it. The liquid is poured over the cucumbers, and the remaining space is filled with cold water.
- Banks are closed with nylon lids and sent to a dark and cool place for 4 days.
- During this time, the cucumbers will absorb some of the brine, so it will have to be topped up. To do this, again bred 2 tbsp. l. salt in water and pour the solution into a jar. After that, the cucumbers are harvested for long-term storage.
This recipe makes cucumbers crispy and tangy. It takes about 1 hour to cook.
Ingredients for a 3L can:
- cucumbers - 1.5 kg;
- vinegar - 30 ml;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- salt - 100 g;
- horseradish - 6 sheets;
- black currant - 3 leaves;
- dill with umbrellas - a small bunch;
- cold water.
- Cucumbers are soaked in cold water for 3 hours, after which they are thoroughly washed.
- The greens are sorted out, removing damaged leaves, and washed. Peel the garlic.
- The jar is washed with baking soda. Lay horseradish, dill and currant leaves.
- Cucumbers are cut off at both ends and placed tightly in a jar.
- For this recipe it is important to use very cold water, so it is pre-kept in the refrigerator. Salt is poured into a jar of cucumbers and vinegar is poured. After that, pour cold water, close with a plastic lid and shake several times so that the salt is completely dissolved and evenly distributed.
- The jar is removed for storage in a cold place.
Pickled cucumbers acquire an interesting taste with mustard powder.
For 2 cans of 1 liter each you need the following ingredients:
- cucumbers - 0.8 kg;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- mustard powder - 2 tbsp. l .;
- any sweet pepper - 3 pcs.;
- allspice - 6 grains;
- bitter pepper - 1 pc.
Step by step cooking process:
- Pour cucumbers with water in a large container and leave for 3 hours. This will remove the bitterness from them.
- Preserving jars and lids are washed with laundry soap.
- All kinds of pepper are spread on the bottom of the jars.
- Cut off the tips of the cucumbers from 2 sides and fill them tightly in containers for preservation.
- All are filled with brine. For its preparation, bred 2 tbsp. l. salt in 2 liters of water.
- The neck of the cans is covered with polyethylene and fixed with rubber bands. So they are left for 3 days. During this time, the brine will become cloudy.
- In the process of fermentation, the foam is regularly removed.
- After 3 days, add 1 tbsp to each jar. l. mustard powder. After that, the cucumbers are allowed to brew for another 6 hours.
- The brine is poured into a saucepan, add 1 tbsp. water and boil for 5 minutes. The lids are washed and sterilized with boiling water.
- While the brine is boiling, the foam is constantly removed. After 5 minutes, remove and cool to room temperature.
- Cans are poured, rolled up and sent to a cool storage area.
These cucumbers have a slightly weird and unattractive look. But taste very unusual and has a slight bitterness.
With horseradish and garlic
Required ingredients for a 3L can:
- cucumbers - 1.7-2 kg;
- medium-sized carrots - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 1 large head;
- dill - 3 umbrellas;
- horseradish root - 2-3 small pieces;
- coarse salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- vinegar - 10 ml;
- allspice and black pepper - 5 pcs.
- Horseradish and garlic are cut into circles. Half are placed on the bottom of the can.
- Fill it halfway with cucumbers. Also add carrots, cut into circles.
- Put the remains of horseradish and garlic on top, add black and allspice.
- After that, the jar is filled to the top with cucumbers.
- Add dill, vinegar, pour brine from water and salt and cover with gauze. Leave to infuse for 3-4 days at room temperature.
- After this time, remove the foam, drain the brine and bring it to a boil.
- After cooling down, it is again poured into the jar.
Pickled cucumbers with horseradish and garlic are crispy and "strong".
An unusual way of cooking is pickled cucumbers with the addition of vodka. It is this drink that gives them a unique crunch.
You will need the following ingredients:
- cucumbers - 5 kg;
- brine - 50 g of salt per 1 liter of water;
- garlic - 12 cloves;
- dill seeds - 3 tbsp. l .;
- cherry leaves - 12 pcs.;
- horseradish root - 6 small pieces;
- spicy pepper;
- celery - 3 branches.
- Greens and cucumbers are washed and allowed to dry a little.
- Three-liter cans are washed with soap.
- At the bottom of each pour 1 tbsp. l. dill seeds, put a celery branch and 2 pieces of horseradish.
- Cut the garlic into circles and distribute it evenly over all containers.
- Add 3 hot pepper rings to each jar.
- Cucumbers are packed tightly up to half. Add 2 tbsp. l. salt and fill the jars with filtered water to the top. Cover with lids and leave for 30 minutes. After that, the jars are shaken to mix the settled salt.
- Leave to infuse for 3 days.
- The brine is drained and boiled for 5 minutes. In parallel with this, metal covers are scalded.
- Add 50 g of vodka to each jar, pour in brine and roll up.
- During cooling, the jars are kept inverted.
The brine turns out to be very cloudy, but this should not be confusing. Cucumbers will be delicious and crispy.
Features of storing blanks in an apartment
For storage, the workpieces are placed in a cool place: refrigerator, cellar, balcony or loggia. At temperatures from -1 to + 4 ° C, these cucumbers have a shelf life of 8 months.
After opening the jars, the pickles are usable for 2 weeks.
Pickled cucumbers are also stored in the freezer, but they are placed there without brine.
Cucumbers are cold pickled according to different recipes. There are several dozen of them. There is no ideal among them, since each person has his own taste. Do not be afraid to experiment, and then you will find the best recipe for yourself.