What is a corn plow and how to make it yourself
Corn cobs cannot be stored for long. After harvesting, it is important to process them as quickly as possible. Peeling large volumes of corn by hand is a tiring and repetitive task. To speed up the process and save energy, special devices are used. A corn plow is bought or made by hand.
The content of the article
What is a corn plow and what they are
Unpeeled corn is not stored for a long time. In this form, until spring, the entire crop will turn into a breeding ground for insects and fungi, which will completely ruin the grain.
Unpeeled ears take up much more space, which often plays an important role on small farms. Therefore, a shelling machine (topper) is considered an indispensable device.
There are 2 main types of such devices:
The former are capable of processing up to 500 kg of ears in 1 hour. These are large installations that require 2 people to service. The bunker has large volumes.
Amateur units include low-power units. The maximum productivity of such devices is 100 kg per hour.
A corn plow is:
- automatic - works with an electric motor;
- manual - functions thanks to human strength.
The design includes several main elements:
- Drum. The container in which the grains are separated from the stalks. The drum has holes for loading raw materials, removing stumps and screening out cleaned grain.
- Peeling element. It is fixed on the drum shaft. It produces cleaning grain from stubs.
- Protective cover. Required to protect rotating parts of the device.
- Container for grain. Refined grain gets into it.
- Drive unit. A structural unit that transfers rotation from the engine to the stubble.
Most corn peelers have a disc equipped with non-sharp teeth. Their height varies from 5 to 10 mm. The disc also has a large number of round grain holes.
It is important that a shutter closure is provided. In this case, the grains will not fly to the sides. There are also designs in which there is a cob tray fixed to the body. This saves a lot of time: while the first batch is being processed inside the device, the second one waits in the tray.
First, the crop is placed in a drum. After switching on, the motor begins to rotate the disk at a speed of 450 rpm. Centrifugal force is generated and the corn is pressed against the walls. The teeth catch it. The grain begins to separate from the cobs, after which it spills out through the holes in the disc and into the gap between the disc and the cylinder. So it gets to the bottom of the device.
After the receiver, the corn is poured out through the chute onto the ground or into a prepared container. Peeled ears are squeezed up unpeeled due to the difference in weight. When the grains no longer spill out along the chute, the waste is removed and a new batch is loaded.
In small devices, the principle of operation is the same, but they have differences in design. A pipe with teeth is fixed to the rotating disk. An ear is placed in it, holding it in hand, and after cleaning it is taken out on its own.
In large devices, the cleaning element is positioned horizontally, while in small devices it is positioned vertically.
It is interesting:
How to do it yourself
A homemade maize hulling device is a farmer's pride. Such a device not only fulfills its direct purpose, but also speaks of the ingenuity and economy of its owner.
Self-production allows you to get a unit that will fully meet the requirements set forth by the farmer.
To make a cultivator with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- crosshead screwdriver;
- set of wrenches;
- carpenter's pencil;
- drill with drills;
- welding machine.
What materials can be used
The container where the grains are separated is considered the main structural element. For its manufacture, barrels, pipes with a large diameter, drums from old top-loading washing machines, various metal cylinders, gas cylinders, etc. are used. The main thing is that the thickness of the metal is from 0.5 mm.
Important! Use the utmost care when using a gas cylinder. It is preliminarily cleaned of fuel residues, because during cutting it can provoke an explosion.
Other materials that are used in the manufacture of a lathe:
- rotary shaft;
- washing machine engine;
- transmission belt;
- a thick metal sheet from which a peeling disk is made;
- steel corners or profile pipe;
- mounting bolts;
Other materials may also be needed. It all depends on the chosen design.
How to make
The easiest way to make a corn plow is from an old washing machine. The most suitable devices are those that have a vertical load of laundry, for example, the Aurica machine.
Step-by-step algorithm for manufacturing a stubble plow:
- A round tank is prepared. They take it out of the washing machine, remove the blades for swirling the water and cut off the bottom pipe. After that, the bottom is cut off. If there is no tank, use a regular gas cylinder. The upper and lower parts are cut off from him so as to obtain a cylinder.
- A disc is made of steel with a thickness of 3-4 mm. With a pencil or marker, it is divided into several sectors, in which elongated holes 1-2 cm wide are made. Through them, the peeled grains will fall down.
- The dimensions of the disc are selected so that it is 2 cm less than the diameter of the tank. This distance serves the same purpose as the holes in the disc.
- With the help of bolts or welding, teeth of 8 mm long are fixed on the disc. The ends must be blunt so that the grain does not break on them.
- The prepared disc is fixed on the shaft in the center of the body.
- The entire device is installed on legs. Sometimes wheels are additionally attached to them.
- The disc for cleaning the cobs is rotated by an electric motor. Its power is desirable to select 1.5 kW. Engine rotation speed - 500-600 rpm.
- 2 holes are made in the tank. The first is for loading the cobs, and the second is for collecting clean grain.
- It is advisable to provide a shutter in the bunker. It will help you save a lot of time with large volumes of work. After processing one batch, the flap is opened and the process continues immediately.
- After that, a test run of the installation is carried out.
Tips and tricks for making
The main recommendations that are adhered to in the manufacture of a lathe:
- It is advisable to prepare a drawing before starting work and carefully think over how all the details will be fixed. This allows you to pick up all the required material and tools.
- Holes in the tank for feeding the cobs and receiving grain are made with doors so that nothing scatters.
- It will be more convenient to work if you provide a tray for unpeeled corn.
- If the engine is high-power, it is imperative to make an emergency power outage.
- The hole for the disposal of recycled materials is made so that a bag can be put on it. This device will speed up the work several times.
- To make the device easier to transport, small wheels are attached to it.
The maize plow is a very useful device in the household. Making a homemade installation does not require a lot of time and money. It is done in one day. The main thing is to think over the design in advance, pick up the drawings and prepare all the required materials.