Is it possible to eat boiled corn while losing weight: calories, benefits and harms in the fight against extra pounds
Corn (aka maize) has earned the title of "Queen of the Fields" due to its high yield and unpretentiousness. It is used for making flour, cereals, cereals, canning, and boiled with whole cobs. Corn grains, sweet and hearty, are loved by many.
The question of whether to consider corn a dietary product is being discussed quite actively. She has supporters who believe that due to its low calorie content, it is perfect for those who want to lose weight. Opponents of this product claim that yellow cobs are too high in calories and unsuitable even for a light diet. In the article we will talk about whether or not corn is possible for weight loss, and what specific properties this product has.
The content of the article
Composition and properties of boiled corn
100 g of boiled corn contains:
- calories - 96 kcal;
- fats - 1.50 g (cholesterol - 0.0 mg);
- proteins - 3.41 g;
- carbohydrates - 20.98 g (including: sugar- 4.5 g, fiber - 2.4 g, starch - 7.2 g);
- saturated fatty acids - 0.6 g;
- monounsaturated fatty acids - 1.12 g;
- vitamin A - 13.0 mcg;
- beta-carotene - 66.0 mcg;
- alpha carotene - 23.0 mcg;
- vitamin E - 0.1 mg;
- vitamin K - 0.4 μg;
- vitamin C - 5.5 mg;
- vitamin B1 - 0.1 mg;
- vitamin B2 - 0.1 mg;
- vitamin B3 - 1.7 mg;
- vitamin B4 - 29.1 mg;
- vitamin B5 - 0.8 mg;
- vitamin B6 - 0.1 mg;
- vitamin B9 - 23.0 mcg;
- calcium - 3.0 mg;
- iron - 0.5 mg;
- magnesium - 26.0 mg;
- phosphorus - 77.0 mg;
- potassium - 218.0 mg;
- sodium - 1.0 mg;
- zinc - 0.6 mg;
- manganese - 0.2 mg;
- selenium - 0.2 mcg.
Corn contains amino acids necessary for the proper functioning of the body. Fatty acids are useful in preventing atherosclerosis.
The vitamin composition of this cereal is also rich. Maize provides a daily intake of vitamins A, E, H, C and PP, contains almost all vitamins of group B. These vitamins participate in the metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and contribute to the elimination of cholesterol. In addition, they participate in the activity of the nervous, cardiovascular and digestive systems, normalize the functioning of the liver and kidneys.
The amino acids in corn help keep skin fresh and slow down the aging process. Corn is able to stabilize the hormonal state of the body, therefore it is recommended to use it in adolescence and menopause.
The abundance of fiber on the cob improves bowel function, and also helps to effectively cleanse the body of accumulated toxins.
The benefits and harms of losing weight
Those who want to lose those extra pounds should pay attention to the following features of corn:
- Grains contain glutamic acid, due to which fat is broken down and burned more intensively.
- Corn contains slow carbohydrates. They break down gradually, so that the feeling of fullness after a meal lasts a long time.
- The abundance of fiber improves intestinal peristalsis and stimulates digestion.
- The complex of specific enzymes, the production of which this cereal contributes, accelerates the process of losing weight.
- Corn is hypoallergenic as it is gluten-free.
- This cereal contains proteins involved in the formation of muscle tissue. Thus, a maize diet can be combined with physical activity.
- This product has no age restrictions.
- The products that are included in the diet menu are available all year round and are inexpensive.
The dietary benefits of corn are undeniable, but it also has a number of disadvantages that, under certain conditions, can cause inconvenience..
Of these, the following are worth highlighting:
- The maize diet menu is pretty monotonous.
- Foods contain small amounts of fat with polysaccharides.
- This cereal is not recommended to be combined with proteins.
- Diarrhea may occur during the diet.
- Diet can provoke or exacerbate hidden disturbances in the gastrointestinal tract.
Is it possible to eat boiled corn on a diet
This is a controversial issue, but most dietitians are confident that corn is a dietary food and recommends a maize diet.
This kind of diet is tolerated without severe discomfort for a person and is gentle. Moreover, with its help, you can lose about 4-5 kg per week. These numbers clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of the corn diet.
Corn grain contains a complex of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, macro- and microelements and vitamins. Almost all the substances necessary for the normal functioning of the body are present in corn. Thanks to the unique composition of this cereal, the maize diet is balanced and easy to tolerate. It is suitable for both strict and gentle diets.
Important! Opponents of corn talk about its calorie content. It is true - in 100 g of corn there is about 340 kcal. But do not forget that this figure refers to dry grain. When boiled or canned, the energy value of this cereal ranges from 90 to 110 kcal.
There are several ways to lose weight with corn. Fasting days are the most popular. This is a simple and quick form of diet. It is useful not only for losing weight, but also for those who want to cleanse the body.
Of the more time-consuming methods, as a rule, resort to three-day, four-day and weekly diets. Such diets can be both gentle and strict. In the absence of contraindications, a mono-diet is allowed, it can be combined with physical activity. This will make the process of losing weight even more effective.
The most difficult is the two-week diet. It requires attitude and self-discipline. It is quite difficult to withstand it. Therefore, for most people, a non-strict diet with the addition of other foods is preferable.
Corn for the night
An important question: can I eat corn at night? Nutritionists do not recommend eating this way. The fact is that at night the human body and, in particular, the digestive system, rests. Metabolic processes at this time slow down, so it is better not to use a product with a high content of complex carbohydrates and coarse vegetable fiber. This will put unnecessary stress on the digestive tract and ruin sleep.
Before going to bed, it is better to limit yourself to lighter foods, such as yogurt, kefir or cottage cheese. Boiled or steamed vegetables are also recommended for dinner: carrots, beets, cabbage. It is better to have dinner 3-4 hours before bedtime.
Important! If during the diet you feel a lack of strength, malaise, or problems with the gastrointestinal tract, immediately contact a specialist.
Rules for preparation and use
On fasting days, no more than 1 kg of corn per day is permissible. This portion is divided into five portions. In this case, it is recommended to drink about 2-3 liters of water, since corn requires a lot of liquid. This also applies to fasting days and long diets.
With a three-day diet, they eat as follows:
- Breakfast: 200 g of corn kernels.
- Lunch: a vegetable mixture of one tomato, grated raw carrot and cucumber. Add fresh lemon juice to the mixture.
- Dinner: 200 g corn kernels.
For a four-day diet, the diet changes slightly. After the first two days, reduce the amount of corn from 800 to 400 g per day and add other products. The diet for this diet:
- Breakfast: salad of 200 g of corn kernels and one grated raw carrot. Fresh lemon juice can be added.Drink unsweetened tea, preferably green, or coffee.
- Lunch: maize with stewed cabbage (no more than 200 g).
- Afternoon snack: fruit such as kiwi and 200 g of corn.
- Dinner: salad of 200 g of corn, one medium tomato and any greens (dill, parsley, Chinese cabbage, rucola).
- Breakfast: salad of 100 g of corn kernels and Chinese cabbage. You can add olive oil or vegetable oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Lunch: soup of 100 g of corn kernels, half a bunch of stalk celery and two medium tomatoes.
- Afternoon snack: salad of one cob of corn, a non-sour apple and half a grapefruit.
- Dinner: salad of 100 g of boiled grains, 50 g of champignons, Chinese cabbage and cucumber. You can add olive oil or vegetable oil and cranberry juice and any greens.
The maize diet requires a lot of fluid. You need to drink at least 2-3 liters per day. Still water, tea (green or herbal infusion) and weak coffee are allowed. Sugar cannot be added to drinks.
Tips for Cooking Boiled Corn
Dairy corn contains the most enzymes that help break down fats, so you should take young cobs to combat excess weight. In the old, the content of substances necessary for losing weight is lower, so they are more suitable for cleaning the body than for a diet.
When cooking from maize, follow a number of rules:
- Milk corn is boiled for no more than 10 minutes. Large or overripe ears and some varietiesrelated to stern, cook for about 50 minutes.
- Most of the useful components of the cereal are preserved when cooking in a multicooker.
- When boiling corn, try to use as little water as possible and place the cobs close to each other to retain the maximum amount of nutrients that go into the broth during cooking.
- Don't cook corn in reserve. Over time, the taste and benefits deteriorate.
- Boiled ears are kept no more than two days in refrigerator.
Combining corn with other foods
In order for corn to fully reveal its beneficial properties in a diet, you need to know which foods it can be combined with, and which ones are better to exclude from the menu.
- all fruits with a few exceptions, which will be discussed below;
- stewed or raw vegetables;
- greens: parsley, celery, rucola, Chinese cabbage;
- tomato soup - you can add grains to it;
- bananas, grapes, apples (sour varieties), melons;
- meat dishes;
- fish meals;
It is recommended that you exit the corn diet gradually. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to return to your normal diet. It is important that the portion size is no more than 200 g. In no case should you overeat, otherwise digestive problems may begin, and the lost weight will return very quickly.
To prevent the lost pounds from returning, give up fatty, highly salty and sweet foods. Take a break for at least six months before your next diet.
It is interesting! For getting rid of excess weight, not only corn grains are useful, but also stigmas. Tinctures and decoctions from them have diuretic properties, rid the body of excess fluid and prevent puffiness.
Corn is a great help in the fight against excess weight, but like any other product, it can be harmful. Therefore, a number of restrictions are imposed on it.
Contraindications to the use of corn are as follows:
- this product is prohibited for patients with thrombophlebitis;
- corn can provoke an upset stomach, so people with gastrointestinal problems should refrain from eating it;
- corn kernels are prohibited for duodenal ulcer;
- this product is not recommended for breastfeeding;
- people with bleeding disorders should abstain from the maize diet.
Canned corn when dieting
When asked whether it is possible to eat canned corn on a diet, nutritionists answer positively. This is a good alternative to fresh cobs during the off-season.
The canned maize diet belongs to the hungry. This method is quite effective - you can lose about 5 kg in a week, and even more when combining a diet with physical activity.
The main problem that those who choose this method of losing weight may face is the composition of the product. In the process of boiling and preserving grains, manufacturers often add sugar or flavor enhancers. They significantly reduce the effectiveness of the diet, as they increase appetite and increase the calorie content of the product.
When choosing canned food, pay attention to the composition - it should contain a minimum of additives. It is recommended to take canned food made in season - from July to September. This suggests that young corn was used for their production. Also on sale you can find not grains, but whole ears. This kind of corn is healthier.
When on a canned grain diet, it is recommended that you reduce the amount by 25% compared to fresh corn. With a four-day diet, 400 g is sufficient for the first two days, divided into four doses. You can combine them with green onions, vegetable salad without oil, and several fruits. On the 3rd and 4th day, the portion is reduced to 200 g, and in parallel, herbs, vegetables and fruits are introduced into the menu, but not more than 150 g per day.
Not only those who decided to lose weight with it, but also practitioners speak positively about the maize diet. Here are some of these reviews.
Evgeniya, 36 years old: «I experimented with losing weight and tried many different diets. One of my favorites is corn, because it is not hungry at all, very effective and tasty. With her I was able to lose 5 kg, and now my weight is 58 kg. In addition, the puffiness under the eyes went away. In my case, the corn diet was very effective. "
Ivan, 19 years old: “I began to weigh too much to practice dancing professionally. My choreographer and I were considering different diets and decided to stick with light corn. It is balanced, moreover, it allows you not to interrupt rehearsals and constantly practice. It was necessary to return to the usual diet gradually, and this helped to consolidate the result even better. During the diet, I did not feel constantly hungry and was able to lose 5 kg, as I wanted. "
Y. Karpenko, nutritionist: “Corn has an excellent reputation in fasting dietary therapy. She has a small list of contraindications, she does not have an immunosuppressive effect. The best effect can be achieved by combining diet with exercise and cardio exercise. The stress from this diet is rated as low, so there is no strong effect on the work of the hormonal system. But still, you should not neglect the advice of a specialist doctor, who will explain what aspects of your health you should pay attention to so that the diet does not bring negative results. "
Z. Chornovol, family doctor: “This diet is one of the methods based on healthy organic foods. Her diet supplies the body with the right amount of nutrients, provides the norm of proteins, fats and complex saccharides. It is believed that corn is a heavy food for the stomach, but this is not true. On the contrary, it is well digested, improves bowel function and has a good effect on its microflora. Even with a mono-diet, there is no acute nutritional deficiency. "
Corn perfectly helps in the fight against extra pounds, not only raw, but also boiled and even canned. It is low in calories, contains many vitamins, trace elements necessary for the body, is rich in fiber and does not cause allergies.
During the diet, one should not forget about contraindications, dosage of portions and diet. If you follow the rules of consumption, corn will help you achieve excellent results and lose weight.