The best varieties of carrots - photos and detailed descriptions, reviews
There are hundreds of varieties and hybrids of carrots. They differ in taste and sugar content, juiciness, color (yellow, orange, burgundy). Root crops for long-term storage, fodder and canteens, with or without a core have been bred.
The article will tell you about the best varieties of carrots with photos, descriptions and yield indicators.
The content of the article
- Carrot varieties
- Carrot varieties
- Fodder carrots
- Table carrot
- Long-term storage varieties
- The best varieties of carrots for northwest Russia
- Coreless varieties
- Features of wild carrots
- Top 5 most delicious varieties of carrots
There are 7 main varieties of carrots, united by common characteristics: Nantes, Chantenay, Berlicum, Parisian carotel, Amsterdam, Flacke, dwarf (minim carrots).
Refers to early ripening. Root crops are up to 15 cm long, cylindrical with a blunt end. It has increased juiciness and high sugar content in the pulp, therefore it is not suitable for long-term storage.
Thanks to the delicate skin, it does not need cleaning, you just need to wash the vegetable. The variety is used for the preparation of juices, salads, first and second courses. Includes the following titles: Amsterdam, Pharaoh, Amsterdam, Touchon.
These are large varieties of carrots up to 30 cm long, up to 4 cm in diameter. The shape of the root crops is cylindrical, the core is there, but thin. Contains a lot of sugars and moisture. There are both early and middle, late varieties. This variety includes Nantes, Yaroslavna, Yaskrava, Samson, Kharkov, Forto, Monanta, Rogneda, Nerak, Sirkana, Karadek, Kabana, etc.
Flakke, or Valeria
The variety is intended for long-term (winter) storage. Belong to late ripening. The shape of the fruit is fusiform or conical, length up to 25 cm, diameter up to 5 cm. The core is pronounced. Contains little sugar, moisture and carotene, which makes it easy to store. In terms of taste, it loses to the early varieties.
This variety includes Victoria, Rote Riesen, Autumn Karol, Flakenaria, Vita Longa.
Refers to mid-season. It has a large diameter up to 6 cm, length up to 12 cm, a root crop in the form of a cone with a blunt end. The core is pronounced. Carrots are not suitable for storage, they are used for direct consumption. The type includes Red Cor, Krasa-Maiden, Katerina, Shantene Royal, Kuroda.
It ripens late, contains little carotene, but a lot of sugar. Suitable for winter storage. Juicy fruits are up to 25 cm in size, up to 5 cm in diameter. These include Darina, Berlikum, Morevna, Lakomka, Bangor.
Dwarf root vegetables with a small length and a diameter of up to 3 cm, similar to radishes. Ripen quickly, but unsuitable for storage, only for freezing and preservation. These include Parmeks, Khibinskaya.
It ripens early, is small in size, up to 10 cm long, there are round specimens. Unsuitable for long-term storage, prone to cracking. Contains a lot of provitamin A. Representatives - Alenka, Polar cranberry.
- Flakke / Carotene. Differs in high productivity, long, up to 25 cm, diameter about 3 cm. It can crack, but it is resistant to most diseases. Representative - Romos.
- Chantenay / Danvers... It has the shape of a cylinder, but with a pointed end. Resistant to cracking, good fit. Representative - Canada.
- Berlicum / Nantes. Larger than Nantes in length and width. It has the shape of a blunt-pointed cylinder. It differs from Nantes varieties in less sweetness and carotene level. But it is stored for a long time and gives a good harvest. Representatives - Baltimore F1, Nandrin.
Each of the variety types is represented by many varieties. The most common of them are Yaroslavna, Rogneda, Bolivar, Nantik, Karamelka, etc.
Late ripening. Mo carrots keep well, withstand cold. The length of the roots is up to 20 cm, the shape is conical. It has a high yield of about 7 kg per 1 sq. m. Stored until next year.
Average ripening times. Root crops are large - up to 300-700 g, conical. Canterbury carrots grow well on loose sandy loam and loam.
Ripens late. Stores well until next year. Conical root crops 20 cm long. Krepish carrots are used for nutrition in patients with anemia and nervous disorders. It was created for this very purpose.
Belongs to the Nantes type. Ripens early, period - 80 days. Resistant to arrow formation. Presto carrots are used fresh. Poorly stored.
Ripens for a long time - 120-130 days. Does not crack. Belongs to the Nantes type. Length up to 20 cm, transverse size - up to 4 cm.The mass of cylindrical fruits is up to 200 g.
Belongs to the Chantenay type. The average ripening period is 110 days. Root crops are conical, with a smooth surface. The diameter is up to 4-5 cm. Bolivar carrots have pronounced tops, do not crack, easily adapt to temperature conditions. Stores well.
A late hybrid bred in Holland. The ripening period is 135 days. Root crops are cylindrical. Narbonne F1 carrots are stored for a long time, they have good taste.
Belongs to late varieties, ripens in 135 days. Nantes type. The mass of carrots is about 100-150 g. The length is up to 22 cm. Anastasia carrots can be stored until spring, they are not afraid of cracking.
Refers to the late varieties. Maturation takes up to 120 days. However, to store the vegetable for the winter, you will need to wait 140-150 days. The pulp of Yaroslavna carrots is of a rich orange color with a reddish tint, the length of the roots is up to 22 cm.
Ripens in 120 days. Fruits are about 15-18 cm long. Weight is 100-200 g. Productivity is about 400 centners per hectare. Suitable for storage.
Nantes carrots are thin, cylindrical, up to 15-19 cm long, about 3.5-4 cm across, weighing about 100 g. Ripens quickly, in 90 days. The variety is not afraid of flowering and carrot fly.
Ripens in 108-115 days. The weight of the vegetable is about 100 g, the length is up to 17 cm. The yield is 6 kg per square meter. m.
The ripening period is about 120-130 days. Length 16-19 cm. Fruit weight 100-150 g. Productivity 300-450 c / ha. It is intended for fresh consumption.
Early maturing, matures in 70 days. Root crops are claret, the middle is orange, the core is yellow, not expressed. The taste is sweet. Carrots are not intended for storage.
The vegetative period is 70-100 days. Size from 15 cm, weight 100-150 g. Combines good taste and excellent keeping quality.
Blunt-pointed vegetables, about 15 cm long, weighing 90-100 g, ripen in 85 days. Stored until autumn. Carrots are demanding on moisture and looseness of the soil.
Carrots up to 30 cm long, weighing up to 1 kg, ripen in 120-130 days.
It grows in 80-100 days up to 25 cm. It is stored until next year. Productivity - 230-400 kg / ha.
There are several types and subspecies of vegetables used for livestock feed. It:
- White. Differs in high productivity. Species: Green-headed, Belgian, Arnimkriven.
- Yellow. It contains more nutrients.Varieties: Belgian, Saalfelder.
- Red. Leading in the amount of vitamins. Species: Bovine heart, Giant.
Table types include high-yielding varieties:
- Karlena. Late carrots. The vegetative period is 150 days. Yields a yield of about 700 c / ha. Root weight - 70 g.
- Losinoostrovskaya 13... It matures in 100 days. Juicy, weighing up to 200 g. Productivity is about 600 c / ha.
- Incomparable. Ripens in 105 days. Root crops weighing more than 200 g. More than 300 centners per hectare are harvested.
- Vitamin - sweet variety. Weight up to 160 g, yield up to 780 c / ha.
- Chantenay 2461. Ripens in 90 days. Productivity - from 600 centners per hectare. The weight of each root crop is up to 200 g. The length is up to 14 cm.
Long-term storage varieties
Good keeping quality is possessed by:
- F1 cascade... It matures in 125 days. Length up to 16 cm, diameter 6 cm. Belongs to the Chantenay variety. Loves warm, light soil.
- Moscow winter. Ripens in 70-90 days. Gives 3-6 kg from 1 sq. m. Representative of the Chantenay variety.
- Autumn queen - a late variety that grows in 130 days. Productivity is 250-600 kg / ha. Length up to 30 cm, weight up to 230 g. Refers to the Flakke / Carotene type.
The best varieties of carrots for northwest Russia
Suitable for the northwest regions:
- Cardame F1 - late carrots. It has the shape of a blunt cone. The pulp is dark orange. Weight up to 150 g. Refers to the Flakke type.
- Nanko - mid-season variety. Belongs to the Berlikum / Nantes type. Productivity is 300-600 c / ha. The sugar content is 6-8%.
- Zafira - mid-season variety intended for winter storage. Weight up to 180 g. Produces 400-700 c / ha. Representative of the Berlikum / Nantes type.
- A princess grows in 120 days. Weight up to 130 g. Representative of the Amsterdam type.
- Chinese beauty reaches 20 cm, weighs up to 220 g. Suitable for long-term storage. Sweet, sugar content up to 9%.
- Soprano F1 - a representative of the Nantes type. It grows in 110 days. The sugar content is up to 11%. The weight of each vegetable is up to 170 g. The yield is 400-500 c / ha.
- Natalia - a representative of the Nantes type. The result of the work of Dutch agronomists. Length up to 22 cm. Productivity 3-4 kg from 1 sq. m.
- Chicago F1 grows to a length of about 17 cm in 95 days. Not suitable for long-term storage.
- Praline grows in 120 days. Length up to 22 cm. Suitable for juicing.
Features of wild carrots
Wild carrots grow in the southern regions of Ukraine and Russia. Differs in small root size, paler color. Contains essential oils, carotenoids, vitamins.
Important! Wild carrots are used as a diuretic for edema of various origins, an antispasmodic for intestinal, biliary colic and biliary dyskinesia.
It is used with a deficiency of vitamin A, although in fact there are fewer carotenoids in it than in artificially derived species.
Top 5 most delicious varieties of carrots
These varieties are characterized by a high sugar content, so they are loved by children and those with a sweet tooth. They are contraindicated in diabetes mellitus.
- Baby sweet. It ripens in 90-100 days. Productivity 6-8 kg per 1 sq. m. The mass of one vegetable is up to 200 g. The sugar content is about 7%.
- Emperor. It matures in 120-130 days, has a modest yield of 2-4 kg per 1 sq. m. Vegetable weight up to 100 g.
- Nantes-4. The growing season is 90 days. Productivity 6-8 kg per 1 sq. m.
- Bolero F1... It matures in 110 days, reaching a mass of 100-150 g. The sugar content is up to 8%. Productivity 4-5 kg per 1 sq. m.
- Caramel. The growing season is 100 days. Weight up to 150-170 g. Productivity 2.5-4 kg per 1 sq. m. Sugar content up to 7.5%.
- Honey. Root crops ripen in 110 days, reach a weight of 200 g. Productivity 2-4 kg per 1 sq. M. m. Contains about 6% sugar.
- The gourmet is mid-season. Weight 100-150 g. From 1 sq. m can be collected from 3 to 5 kg.
- Maestro F1. The mass of the root crop is 200 g. The sugar content reaches 6-7%. According to gardeners' reviews, Maestro F1 carrots are good for canning and eating raw.
All varieties of carrots have their own advantages and disadvantages. Juicy vegetables don't store well, but taste good and make healthy juices and smoothies. Carrots with good keeping quality must be sorted out and dried before storage, and left in a dry place. Then the harvest will last until spring.