Macadamia nut shells - beneficial properties and uses
The Australian macadamia nut is one of the most expensive foods in the world. Previously, it could be tasted only in the homeland of the product, now royal nuts are also imported into our country. In most cases, they are sold in a shell, which accounts for up to 50% of the weight of the product. This is not done for the sake of benefit - the shell protects the kernels from oxidation, increases shelf life and improves taste.
After peeling the shells of nuts, a lot of shells remain, which has a pleasant aroma and sweetish taste. You don't have to throw away the peelings of macadamia - they can find useful uses.
The article will tell you how to use the macadam nut shell correctly, what are its benefits and what are the possible harm.
The content of the article
Composition and calorie content of macadamia nut shells
Macadamia is one of the healthiest nuts on our planet. It contains vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and acids and has many useful properties.
Of course, the most useful are its kernels, which are eaten. However, the shells, which many throw away, also contain many valuable substances.
- B vitamins;
- minerals; zinc, potassium, selenium, phosphorus, calcium, copper, molybdenum, iron;
- essential oils.
The percentage of water in the peel of a macadam nut is equal to 10%. Moreover, it is so hard that it is extremely difficult to split it by hand without special equipment.
It is interesting! Due to the content of a large amount of essential oils, macadamia shells burn well and for a long time.
The shell of the Australian walnut is light brown or chocolate brown. Like the core, it has a vanilla or chocolate flavor. If you taste the shell, the presence of a sweet trait will be noticeable.
In general, the nut shell is spherical. In a nut processing factory, a neat cut is cut into the casings. After breaking at the mark, the shell splits into two halves.
The benefits and harms of husk
To understand what can be made from macadam nut shells, you should familiarize yourself with all the useful and harmful properties.
Useful properties of shell-based medicinal products:
- They remove slags, toxins, harmful cholesterol from the body, eliminate the effects of poisoning, prevent the development of atherosclerosis and other vascular diseases.
- Relieve inflammation in the body. Tinctures prepared on the shell help to cope with diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
- Accelerate tissue regeneration. When applied externally, they not only accelerate wound healing, but also prevent their suppuration.
- Improves intestinal motility and digestion.
- They have bactericidal and immunomodulatory effects. They help to cope with colds and viral diseases.
- Improves the condition of the skin, hair and nails, especially with complex external and internal use.
- Strengthens the musculoskeletal system. They contain calcium, as well as substances necessary for its assimilation.
In some cases, the shell is harmful to the body. Possible cases are presented in the list:
- Having an allergic reaction to any nuts. Even macadamia shells can cause severe allergic reactions.
- Children until those years. At this age, the child is most prone to allergic reactions.
- Pregnancy and lactation. Eating macadamia can cause allergies in the fetus or baby.
- Exacerbations of chronic diseases of the stomach and intestines.Hazelnut shells increase symptoms.
- Animals. Macadamia and its derivatives are toxic to animals (especially dogs) and can cause paralysis.
In the cases described, the shell of the Australian walnut can cause serious harm. You should not use products based on it in excess.
Uses of macadam nut shells
What is made from macadamia nut shells? It turns out that this product is used very widely.
The shell from valuable kernels is used to make medicines according to folk recipes. It is actively used in cosmetology and cooking. Craftswomen also love to work with shells.
Australian walnut shells saturated with essential oils are also used in industry - and in a wide variety of industries.
The hard shell of the Australian walnut is used commercially. All purifications obtained at the factory during the processing of macadamia are used in different areas:
- Adsorbent (activated carbon). Finely ground compressed shells are more effective in removing toxins from the body than regular coal.
- Technical coal. Thanks to the large amount of oils for cleaning macadamia, they burn well and for a long time, and release a large amount of energy. They are used as fuel in nut processing industries. The shells are loaded into a boiler to dry and heat the macadamia.
- Chipboard. Macadamia chipboard is a durable and expensive material. It is highly resistant to moisture, microorganisms, mold and fungi. The material is used to furnish bathrooms, saunas, pools and decks. An additional benefit of Macadam chipboard is its pleasant aroma.
- Building. Crushed cleaners are added to concrete mixes, making them more durable.
- Fertilizers. Macadam nut waste contains a high concentration of nutrients. If they fertilize the soil for planting plants, the culture will be provided with all the substances necessary for growth and development.
- Plastic. Powdered casing is used to make sustainable plastics. It is more durable and shock-resistant.
Although the shells of macadamium are used industrially, they are not widely used. This is due to the fact that the Australian walnut is mined in relatively small quantities. For this reason, the casing of the valuable product is used mainly in the countries where it is grown.
The shell of the Australian walnut is also used in cosmetology. It is able to rejuvenate the skin, restore its elasticity, gently scrub and improve blood circulation. Eminent companies add it to their products and use it in home beauty recipes.
The use of macadamia nut shells in cosmetology:
- Facial scrub... The shell of the Australian walnut is crushed to a powdery state. The resulting product is mixed with face cream or sour cream. The scrub is rubbed into the face in a circular motion without pressure for several minutes, then washed off with warm water.
- Anti-cellulite scrub. Mix 1 tbsp in a container. l. macadam nut shells, 1.5 tbsp. l olive oil, 5 drops each of rosemary and grapefruit. Problem areas of the body are scrubbed with the composition for 3-5 minutes, then left for another 5 minutes and washed off.
- Rejuvenating mask... Finely ground macadam shells are mixed with the same amount of white clay and diluted with cream (for dry skin) or coffee (for oily skin) to the consistency of sour cream. The mixture is applied to the face and neck and left for 15 minutes. Rinse off and apply a moisturizer.
Alcohol tinctures are prepared from the macadamia shell. Walnut peelings give the drink a pleasant sweetish taste and a vanilla or chocolate (depending on the nut variety) aroma. Some recipes involve adding additional ingredients.
Tinctures are used for medicinal purposes. They have the following properties:
- Spasmolytic action.The drink eliminates migraines and headaches.
- Activates the immune system. It is useful to take the tincture for colds.
- Normalizes blood pressure.
- Accelerates recovery from illness, tones the body.
Alcohol tinctures are taken only with the permission of a doctor. People who are contraindicated in alcohol should not take the macadamia shell tincture, even for medicinal purposes.
Note! Australian nut shell tincture is taken not only for medicinal purposes, but also as an alcoholic beverage.
How to make a macadam nut shell tincture:
- Classic with vodka. For half a liter of vodka, take 50 g of walnut casings. 1 tbsp is added there. l sugar, fried until golden brown. The mixture is infused for two weeks in a dark place, occasionally shaking the container with it.
- On moonshine with aromatic additives. In a glass container, mix 0.5 liters of moonshine, 40 g of macadamia shells, 1 tsp of vanillin, 1 tbsp. l sugar, zest of one orange. The mixture is infused for 14 days in a dark place, shaking regularly.
- On medical alcohol. To prepare the tincture in a glass container, mix 1 tbsp. alcohol, 1 tbsp. purified water 50 g Australian walnut shells. The drink is infused for 10 days in a dark place, shaking every day.
For medical purposes, the tincture is taken three times a day after meals. Start with 1 tsp, gradually bringing this amount to 1 tbsp. l.
For people who are contraindicated in alcoholic tinctures, a decoction of macadamia shells is suitable, it has the same properties as a medicine for alcohol.
To prepare it:
- the nutshell is washed under running water and placed in a saucepan;
- 50 g of raw materials are poured with a liter of water and brought to a boil over high heat;
- reduce the fire to a minimum and simmer the broth under the lid for 20 minutes;
- the resulting mixture is filtered.
The medicine is taken three times a day before meals. Store in the refrigerator.
Advice! To improve immunity, relieve fatigue and get rid of stress, a decoction of macadamia shells is added to the bath.
The shells will also find use in the kitchen. Reviews suggest that they make delicious tea.
Here is one of his recipes:
- 50 g of shells crushed on a coffee grinder are poured into 1 liter of boiling water;
- The teapot is covered with a lid and left in this form for 15 minutes;
- honey or sugar is added to the drink to taste.
Macadamia alcoholic infusion is added to baked goods. It imparts a pleasant spicy and vanilla aroma to baked goods and biscuits.
Powdered peel is often used as a spice. It goes well with mulled wine.
It is interesting:
Home decor is also made from the peel. The whole halves make beautiful pads for needles, boats, miniature candlesticks.
The list provides instructions for several interesting uses:
- Aromatic sachet. The macadamia shell retains a pleasant aroma for a long time. To make an aromatic sachet, a macadam nut shell, a cinnamon stick, and a vanilla stick are put in a fabric bag.
- Key ring. A small hole is drilled in the upper edge of the shell half. A piece of wire is threaded into it, a bead is fixed at one end (which will be inside the shell), and the end that goes out is fastened with keychain accessories.
Macadamia nuts are often sold in the shell. This way they retain their taste and aroma longer. Without a shell, they deteriorate in a few weeks. However, the shell accounts for up to 50% of the weight of expensive products.
Do not throw out the nut peels. It has a number of useful properties and has a rich biochemical composition. Using the imagination and knowledge gleaned in our article, it can be used in different ways in many areas.