Can I drink orange juice on an empty stomach: the benefits and harms of freshly squeezed citrus
Freshly squeezed orange juice has outstanding taste, dietary and health benefits. It contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, essential oils and other elements that have a versatile and generally beneficial effect on the body.
Moderate use of fresh from oranges has a positive effect on a variety of organ systems, which allows us to speak of it not only as an everyday drink, but also as a prophylactic and even therapeutic agent.
The content of the article
- Chemical composition, vitamins and microelements in orange juice
- Benefits of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Application of orange juice
- Possible harm and contraindications
- How to drink orange juice properly
Chemical composition, vitamins and microelements in orange juice
Homemade 100ml of unprocessed orange juice has the following composition:
- Dietary fiber - 0.2 g
- Water - 88.3 g
- Ash - 0.4 g
- Vitamin A - 10 mcg;
- Vitamin B1 - 0.09 mg;
- Vitamin B2 - 0.03 mg;
- Vitamin B3 - 6.2 mg;
- Vitamin B5 - 0.19 mg;
- Vitamin B6 - 0.04 mg;
- Vitamin B9 - 30 mcg;
- Vitamin C - 50 mg;
- Vitamin E - 0.04 mg;
- Vitamin K - 0.1 μg;
- Vitamin PP - 0.4 mg.
- Potassium - 200 mg;
- Calcium - 11 mg;
- Magnesium - 11 mg;
- Sodium - 1 mg;
- Sulfur - 7 mg;
- Phosphorus - 17 mg
- Iron - 0.2 mg;
- Manganese - 0.014 mg;
- Copper - 44 mcg;
- Selenium - 0.1 mcg;
- Zinc - 0.05 mg.
Digestible carbohydrates - mono- and disaccharides (sugars) - 8.4 g.
Essential and Essential Amino Acids - 0.3 g.
Mono and - polyunsaturated fatty acids - 0.07 g.
Calorie content, BJU and glycemic index
Orange fresh has a negative calorie content of 40 kcal and a low glycemic index of 40-45 units.
BJU content per 100 ml of orange juice:
- proteins 0.7 g;
- fats 0.2 g;
- carbohydrates 10.2 g.
Benefits of freshly squeezed orange juice
Nature has generously enriched the orange with vitamins and minerals valuable for the human body. Due to its composition, citrus has a variety of medicinal properties:
- activates metabolism;
- supports the adequate functioning of internal organs and systems;
- protects against infections;
- sorbs fats and toxins in the intestines;
- serves as a prophylactic agent against cancer.
In folk medicine, fresh is used as a tonic, analgesic, diuretic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, decongestant.
Orange juice is also popular in cosmetology. As part of home masks, it delicately cares for the skin of the face: refreshes, tones, whitens, slows down the aging process, as part of scrubs and wraps - reduces the appearance of cellulite. Orange juice is used for seborrhea, baldness, for active hair growth, and their health.
The previously listed benefits of orange juice will benefit both men and women.
And what is citrus useful for the female body:
- activates the production of steroid hormones, normalizes hormonal levels;
- slows down the onset of menopause;
- supports the functions of the reproductive system;
- relieves menopause symptoms - such as headache, irritability, weakness, excessive sweating, hot flashes;
- increases immune protection;
- prevents premature aging;
- improves blood circulation in the pelvic organs;
- enhances sex drive.
During pregnancy, orange juice is recommended as an additional source of micro- and macroelements, vitamins responsible for the health of the mother and baby.During the period of gestation, citrus is valued due to the presence of folic acid in the composition. This vitamin is essential for the normal development of the fetus. Its deficiency can cause malformations of the nervous system in a child, spontaneous abortion.
Orange juice serves as a source of vitamin B2, which takes part in the physiological formation of fetal tissues and organs, vitamin E - regulates the development of placental tissue in accordance with all the needs of the unborn child.
The nutrition of a nursing woman should be optimal for the child and balanced in terms of the set of substances. Orange juice contains a complex of micro- and macroelements, minerals, amino acids, omega-3, necessary for normal growth and development of a child, good health and well-being of a woman.
Given the fact that citrus is an allergen, it is necessary to introduce it into the mother's diet gradually, since in addition to nutrients, the child can also receive allergens with milk. Drinking a lot of orange juice can cause bloating and colic, yellowness of the skin, especially in the first 2-3 months after birth.
Men are less likely to follow the principles of a healthy diet, eat fewer fruits and vegetables, which can lead to health problems in the future. Nutritionists advise men of all ages to regularly drink orange juice. It saturates the body with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, polyphenols and other useful compounds that support the full functioning of the immune, nervous, endocrine, urinary system, heart and blood vessels, and digestive organs.
Orange juice is of particular importance for men's health:
- Serves as a good prevention of urological diseases, inflammation of the prostate gland or facilitates their course, prevents possible complications.
- Thiamine, together with vitamins A and C, improves blood circulation in the pelvic organs, minimizes congestion in the tissues of the prostate, and provokes a natural erection.
- Zinc and selenium stimulate the production of the main male sex hormone - testosterone. He is responsible for sexual health and libido, the formation and development of bone and muscle tissue.
- The vitamin-mineral complex strengthens the immune system, supports the functions of the nervous system, since chronic stress, overwork, infectious diseases play an important role in pathological changes in the reproductive system.
- It is a powerful aphrodisiac. Stimulates and enhances libido and activity, enhances the attractiveness of the opposite sex.
Orange juice is useful for children of any age, especially during the period of active growth and development of the body. It is a natural source of calcium, which takes part in the formation of the skeletal system, mineralization of teeth. There are many protein compounds in fruits that are necessary for the functioning of the entire cellular system, maintaining the muscle frame in tone.
Equally important for a growing organism is the presence of a vitamin complex in the composition. B vitamins stimulate the processes of brain activity, regulate the production of growth hormone, and improve metabolism in brain tissues. Vitamin PP, together with other biological components of the composition, enhances local immunity to such an extent that the child's body acquires natural protection against irritating factors, serves as a prophylactic agent against influenza and upper respiratory tract infections.
Orange juice is good for eyesight, accelerates the healing process for wounds, burns, plays an important role in the formation of new cells, improves the condition of the skin, hair and nails.
For the elderly
The risk of cardiovascular disease increases with age.The complex of preventive measures to prevent pathologies of the heart and blood vessels includes healthier nutrition, the use of a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables.
In the diet of people over 30-40 years old, freshly prepared orange juice must be present.
It contains a record amount of vitamin C, which has different functions:
- strengthens the immune system;
- restores the functions of the thyroid and pancreas;
- stimulates the secretion of bile;
- maintains the normal permeability of the capillary walls;
- reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood, which serves as the prevention of atherosclerosis and related complications;
- stabilizes high blood pressure.
The health status of elderly people is positively affected by the presence of other useful elements in citrus: retinol - inhibits aging processes, increases mucosal protection, calcium - maintains adequate bone density, B vitamins - minimize the risk of senile dementia, reduce the effects of stress.
Application of orange juice
Due to the presence of a rich vitamin and mineral complex in the composition of orange fresh juice is useful for both men and women at any age. It is in the juice of oranges that substances are contained that determine the general state of health, help to resist diseases, and ensure good health.
The juice is used for weight loss, for the treatment and prevention of various diseases, protection against viruses and infections... However, for the successful healing of the body, it is important to normalize nutrition: exclude sugar, starch, smoked meats, animal fats, and other foods from the list of prohibited ones. Only a combination of juice therapy with proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle will quickly lead to the desired result.
For reference... Freshly prepared juice from oranges is many times more useful than citrus itself, since it is absorbed as quickly as possible (within 10-20 minutes) with minimal stress on the digestive organs, and its energy resources are fully used for nutrition and restoration of tissues and organs.
In the absence of contraindications, dietetics are advised to drink orange fresh juice as often as possible, claiming that it makes a person more attractive.
Citrus juice has a positive effect on the condition of the skin:
- tones up;
- provides a beautiful and even skin tone;
- reduces age spots;
- relieves puffiness;
- prevents the formation of wrinkles.
Under its influence, the scalp is restored, the hair begins to grow more intensively, becomes stronger and healthier. With its help, you can get rid of the "orange peel". Omega-3 acids burn fat deposits, vitamins and minerals restore impaired blood circulation and lymph flow in the subcutaneous fat layer.
When losing weight
Lovers of orange juice can not only enjoy the drink, but also lose weight with it. Low calorie content (40 kcal per 100 ml) is combined with a high content of vitamins, minerals, pectins, important for health and weight loss.
The beneficial properties of orange juice for the correction and weight loss are undeniable:
- Polyphenols protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals, suppress appetite, provide fast and long-lasting saturation.
- In case of violation of the biocenosis intestines tend to become obese. Polyphenols, together with pectin fibers, normalize the composition of the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract, prevent the development of dysbiosis.
- Pectin gently and naturally cleanses the body of accumulated toxins and toxins, improves digestion, accelerates the process of splitting fats, normalizes metabolism, eliminates gas formation.
- Vitamin C, K, PP regulate protein, lipid and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Retinol increases endurance and performance, energy is consumed more than it enters, the body begins to spend fat reserves, body weight decreases. In addition, retinol helps to recover faster after exercise, and is important for the proper functioning of the immune system.
- Citrus reduces blood sugar levels, does not overload the pancreas, which is especially important during the period of weight loss.
The beneficial effects of losing weight are the choleretic and diuretic effects of orange juice. It suppresses putrefactive processes, stimulates intestinal peristalsis, helps to cope with existing constipation.
For reference. Citrus juice is used in any diet to improve its effectiveness. Subject to proper nutrition and physical activity, drinking the drink has a beneficial effect on metabolism and intestinal function.
In folk medicine
In folk medicine, orange juice is used to maintain general health, treat and prevent various painful conditions:
- Ascorbic and niacin content has a positive effect on the state of the cardiovascular system. These substances increase the strength and elasticity of the vascular walls, take part in the formation of erythrocytes, activate blood flow, resist the development of atherosclerosis, ischemia, hypertension, myocardial infarction.
- Iron content allows you to use orange juice for the treatment and prevention of anemia. Citrus serves as an additional source of iron, and vitamin C contributes to its better absorption.
- B vitamins stimulate brain activity, improve microcirculation and metabolic processes in brain cells, reduce vascular fragility, and reduce psychological stress.
- Orange juice Is a powerful sorbent. Due to the presence in the composition of plant fiber, it has a beneficial effect on intestinal peristalsis, qualitatively relieves the liver and stomach from accumulated toxic substances.
- Citrus juice ensures the proper functioning of the kidneys, organs of the urinary system, which is manifested by the removal of excess fluid from the body, getting rid of edema.
- Due to its pronounced antioxidant properties it is an effective means of preventing cancer. Oranges neutralize dangerous free radicals, inhibit oxidative processes, and strengthen the brittle walls of blood vessels.
- The juice relieves the condition of people suffering from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, such as osteochondrosis, arthritis, arthrosis, gout... It has an anti-inflammatory effect, reduces the severity of pain. Organic acids prevent the deposition of salts, calcium, potassium and magnesium take part in the construction of bone tissue, inhibit the development of osteoporosis.
- Nutritionists recommend including freshly squeezed orange juice in the diet to maintain overall health, wellness... This is an effective vitamin remedy, especially in the autumn-winter period, protects against infections, reduces the risk of developing influenza, SARS, acute respiratory infections, or facilitates their course.
Possible harm and contraindications
Orange juice contains amino acids that irritate the mucous membranes of the digestive system... For this reason, the juice is contraindicated for people with gastrointestinal diseases, gastritis, ulcerative lesions of the mucosa... Nutritionists recommend limiting or completely eliminating orange juice from the diet of people with high acidity of gastric juice, allergies to citrus fruits. Drink juice with caution in case of increased sensitivity of tooth enamel.
Orange is a strong allergen. With prolonged and abundant use, the risk of an allergic reaction in the form of skin rash, itching, peeling and redness on the skin increases.When the first signs appear, it is recommended to exclude oranges in any form from the diet, take an antihistamine, and if symptoms persist, seek help from an allergist.
It is interesting:
How to drink orange juice properly
There are general guidelines on how to properly consume freshly squeezed orange juice:
- Do not drink a concentrated drink. It is pre-diluted with water or any other vegetable / fruit juice in equal proportions.
- Water for use with juice should be distilled and at room temperature.
- The squeezed orange juice cannot be stored; it must be drunk within 20 minutes after preparation. To extend the shelf life for the whole day, it is poured into a glass container treated with boiling water and placed in the refrigerator.
- To prepare fresh, it is undesirable to use metal utensils and appliances, since the drink contains organic acids. The juice is prepared using a plastic juicer.
- To preserve the tooth enamel, you need to drink the juice through a cocktail tube, after use, rinse your mouth with water.
How much can you drink per day
Provided that there are no contraindications and problems with digestion, there are no special restrictions on the amount of orange juice. To get a quick healing effect and detoxify the body, nutritionists recommend that an adult consume at least 600 ml of juice during the day.
In order not to overload the liver and kidneys and to avoid possible side reactions, it is recommended to drink no more than 1 liter of freshly prepared juice per day.
Can I drink on an empty stomach
Despite the beneficial properties of orange juice, it is strictly forbidden to consume it on an empty stomach, even for absolutely healthy people. Drinking juice on an empty stomach negatively affects the intestinal microflora, which inevitably affects the state of the body, the functions of the digestive system. In people with gastrointestinal diseases, this leads to exacerbation of pain, increased fermentation, colic, and bloating. Therefore, orange juice should only be drunk after a meal.
Council. So that the walls of the stomach are not irritated by orange juice, it is recommended to take 1 tablespoon in advance. olive oil.
The benefits and harms of orange juice depend on the variety and the conditions for growing fruit, the method of making fresh juice. To heal the body, choose freshly squeezed orange juice instead of pasteurized industrial production. In the latter, the content of nutrients is several times less. But natural orange fresh juice has excellent taste and medicinal qualities.
Regularly consuming the drink, you can heal the body as a whole, prevent the development of many painful conditions, in the presence of pathologies, facilitate their course, speed up recovery.