The benefits and harms of orange peels, the rules for their preparation, storage and use
Orange, like other citrus fruits, is one of the best remedies for enhancing immunity and improving the general condition of the body in winter. The pulp of this fruit is eaten raw, added to desserts and salads, processed into sauces and juices. In this case, the orange peel is usually thrown away.
And completely in vain. Orange peels are a useful product for the household. It is used in cooking, cosmetology, and gardening. This tool is also suitable for cleaning apartments. Citrus peel has a number of beneficial properties and has a positive effect on health. Experienced housewives do not throw it away, but harvest it for future use. How to do it - read on.
The content of the article
- Composition and properties of orange peels
- Is it possible to eat orange skins
- Therapeutic effect on the body
- How to apply orange peels
- How to prepare and store crusts
Composition and properties of orange peels
Orange peel contains a number of elements valuable to the human body. In addition, citrus peelings are useful in many household areas.
Biological and nutritional value
The nutritional value of orange peels is 97 kcal per 100 g. This amount of product accounts for 0.3 g of fat, 1.5 g of protein and 25 carbohydrates.
The product contains a number of useful substances. Among them:
- vitamins A, B, E, C;
- minerals - iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, selenium, sodium, zinc, phosphorus, copper;
- alimentary fiber;
- useful acids;
- essential oils.
Orange peel contains up to 90% limonene. This substance has a pronounced antibacterial effect.
note! Citrus peels contain several times more vitamin C than pulp.
Harm and benefit
Why are orange peels good for:
- relieve inflammation;
- remove harmful cholesterol from the body;
- destroy pathogens;
- improve metabolism;
- activate immune processes;
- normalize bowel function;
- facilitate the work of the liver;
- break down fats;
- stop bleeding;
- eliminate insomnia;
- normalize sebum secretion;
- tone up the body;
- improve the condition and color of skin and hair;
- lower blood pressure;
- improve the condition of the teeth;
- remove phlegm from the lungs.
Orange peels can be beneficial as well as harmful. This product is capable of causing allergies, is harmful during an exacerbation of gastric diseases, as it irritates the gastrointestinal mucosa.
A particular danger is posed by the substances with which the orange peel is impregnated so that the product is stored for a long time. To remove harmful components, before use, oranges are washed with water and soda and poured over with boiling water.
It is interesting! It is believed that orange peels reduce the risk of cancer. However, there is no scientific evidence for this.
Is it possible to eat orange skins
Orange peels have a pleasant citrus flavor and pronounced aroma. However, their white part is considered by many to be bitter. Therefore, most dishes only use citrus zest.
In this case, orange peels can be eaten whole. To get rid of the bitterness, the peel is soaked or boiled several times in boiling water.
Important! Heat-treated crusts lose some of their useful properties.
Therapeutic effect on the body
Orange peel has medicinal properties.
It is often used in traditional medicine to combat:
- Cold. Orange peel improves immunity and has an antibacterial effect. Its use during ARVI and flu helps to cope with the disease faster.
- Lung disease... Orange essential oils have expectorant properties. Natural preparations for cough treatment are prepared from the peel.
- Obese. The product speeds up metabolism and breaks down fats. It promotes weight loss.
- Uterine bleeding. Decoction of orange has hemostatic properties.
- Depression, insomnia... The product improves mood and sleep.
- Atherosclerosis. With these diseases, orange peel helps to cope with the ability to remove cholesterol.
Folk remedies should be used only as an adjunct to the main treatment and with the permission of a doctor.
How to apply orange peels
Orange peels are added to many dishes, used in cosmetology, gardening, and everyday life.
In folk medicine
In folk medicine, there are many recipes using orange peels:
- To improve appetite. Put the peel of 7 oranges in a saucepan and pour 1.5 liters of water. The mixture is boiled until 0.5 liters of liquid remains in the pan. The broth is removed from the heat and filtered. After 10 minutes, add 2 tbsp. l. honey. Before each meal, take 0.5 tbsp. facilities.
- For the treatment of acute respiratory infections and acute respiratory viral infections. Add 50 g of crusts to 500 liters of vodka. The tool is insisted in a dark place for 20 days. Take 5 times a day, adding 30 drops to a glass of water.
- From uterine bleeding... To prepare the product, the peel of 7 oranges is boiled for half an hour in 1.5 liters of water. Take a glass three times a day.
- From cough... 200 g of fresh orange peels are covered with 1 tbsp. Sahara. The mixture is boiled for half an hour. Then it is filtered and poured into a dark glass container. Store in the refrigerator. Take 1 tbsp. l. three times a day.
- For heartburn. 1 tbsp is poured into the pan. l. dried orange peels and 2 tbsp. l. licorice. The ingredients are poured over 1 liter of water and cooked for half an hour. The broth is filtered and cooled. Add 1 tbsp. l. honey. Take in a cup for heartburn.
- From a hangover. For 0.5 liters of water, take the peel of 2 oranges and 1 tsp. salt. The composition is boiled for 15 minutes. Then they drink in small sips.
Interesting on the site:
Orange peels help women and men improve the appearance of body, hair and face. This wonderful ingredient is actively used in cosmetology:
- Mask for tightening the skin of the face. 2 tsp orange peel powder is mixed with 1 tsp. honey and 1 tsp. natural yogurt. The mask is applied to clean, dry skin for 20 minutes. After this time, the product is washed off. A light moisturizer is applied to the skin.
- Orange baths for toning body skin... 3 tbsp are poured into a fabric bag. l. orange powder, tied up and put in the bath. Then they collect very warm water. Take a bath for at least 15 minutes. If desired, add 1 tbsp to a bag of orange powder. l. honey.
- Dandruff remedy. 3 tbsp. l. orange peels are poured into a thermos and 0.5 liters of boiling water are poured. The product is insisted for 12 hours. Then it is filtered and used to rinse clean hair.
- Lip scrub. Honey, apricot kernel oil, powdered dried rind and sugar are mixed in equal proportions. The product is taken on a finger and rubbed into the lips for 2-3 minutes, then washed off.
- Mask for eliminating wrinkles on the face, neck and décolleté... Honey, orange peel powder and crushed oatmeal are mixed in equal proportions. Add 1-2 tsp to the resulting composition. warm cream or milk. The mask is applied to the neck, décolleté and face for 15-20 minutes. Then washed off.
- Body Scrub. The peel of 1 orange is twisted in a meat grinder or chopped on a grater. To the resulting mass add 4 tbsp. l. sugar and 1 tbsp. l. almond oil. The ingredients are mixed and used to scrub the body.
- Teeth whitening. Orange powder is added to the toothpaste, or simply rubbed with a fresh orange peel.
Orange peel is often used in various dishes. It gives the products a subtle citrus aroma and unusual spicy notes:
- Pies and muffins. In this case, use orange zest or candied fruits. The additive is placed in dough or cream, and is also used as a decoration for desserts.
- Jam. Use the whole peel, often along with orange juice. Jam is made from citruses and fruits that are combined with them (cherry plums, apricots, apples). To cook jam, the peel is pre-soaked for several days, then it is mixed with fruits, sugar, citrus juice. The mixture is boiled, then interrupted with a blender or left in pieces.
- Bird and fish. Citrus zest or rind powder is used as a seasoning for poultry and fish. It is often combined with pink and white pepper, thyme, nutmeg, paprika.
- Tea. The zest is brewed both independently and added to black or green tea. In the second case, 1 tbsp. l. tea is mixed with 1 tsp. zest. For citrus to reveal its aroma and make the drink useful, it is brewed for 15 minutes. at a temperature not exceeding 15 ° C.
Citrus peels help with house cleaning. They are used to make natural and effective detergents:
- Citrus vinegar will get rid of the unpleasant odor in the refrigerator, clean the plumbing to shine, and remove old fat. To prepare the product, the jar is half filled with dry citrus peels, the rest of the volume is filled with vinegar. The mixture is infused in a dark place for a week. Then it is filtered, poured into a spray bottle and used as directed.
- If you add a few orange peels to the dishwasher while loading clear glass dishes, they will be free of streaks.
- The peel of one fresh citrus is poured with a cup of water, placed in the microwave for 7 minutes. After that, it is enough to wipe the device with a damp cloth, and all dirt will be removed.
- To remove mineral deposits on plumbing, a teaspoon of coarse salt is poured onto fresh citrus peels. This "sponge" is used to wipe problem areas.
- To disinfect the wood board and get rid of the smell of food, rub it with fresh citrus peels.
Orange peel is useful in everyday life. Many useful items for the whole family are made from it:
- Orange candle. The top of the orange is cut off. Take out the pulp from the resulting "bowl", being careful not to damage the white "tail" inside the peel. 1-2 tbsp is poured into a bowl from the peel. l. olive oil so that the “tail”, which will be the wick, is saturated with fat. The wick is set on fire.
- Natural air freshener. Peels of two oranges (dry are also suitable), three tsp. cinnamon, 1 tbsp. l. vanillin, 1 tbsp. l. ground cloves pour 0.5 liters of water and 2 tbsp. l. vinegar. The mixture is brought to a boil and cooked until the spices develop a flavor. The liquid is poured into a spray bottle and used as directed.
- Lighting fire... Orange peels are suitable for lighting a fire or fireplace. The essential oils contained in them act as fuel. Such a fire will not only burn for a long time, but also emit a pleasant aroma.
- Sachet for wardrobes... Dry citrus peels are crushed and put into a cloth bag. These sachets are placed in moth-proof cabinets and in shoes to remove odors.
- Repelling mosquitoes... To do this, rub the exposed parts of the body with fresh citrus zest.
- For the treatment of fleas in animals. The peel of 7 oranges is poured into 1 liter of water, brought to a boil and cooked for 30 minutes. Then the broth is allowed to brew for 4 hours. The liquid is filtered and poured into a spray bottle. To get rid of fleas, the animals are sprayed with orange infusion. The agent is also used to scare away mosquitoes and ticks from humans.
In the garden
Citrus peel is used in the garden and vegetable garden:
- Growing seedlings... Experienced gardeners grow seedlings in whole "bowls" of orange peel.
- Fight against harmful insects... Citrus peels are used for thrips, spider mites and aphids. 250 g of dry crusts are poured into 1 liter of hot water and infused for 4 days. In the resulting infusion add 2 tbsp. l. laundry soap. Before use, the product is diluted in a bucket of water. Plants are sprayed twice a week.
- Composting. To make the compost more nutritious and rich in plant-friendly compounds, orange peels are added to it.
- Scare away ants. Peel 2 oranges are ground in a blender or meat grinder and diluted with 1 tbsp. warm water. The resulting mixture is poured onto an anthill.
How to prepare and store crusts
Orange peels are harvested for future use, since dried peels are suitable for the recipes described above. Before starting drying, oranges are poured over with boiling water to eliminate harmful substances.
Citrus peels are harvested in three ways:
- In a refrigerator. In this case, the peel is simply folded into a bag and placed in a vegetable drawer.
- Dried. To dry the rind, cut it into strips. Then they are laid out on a newspaper near the battery or dried in an oven at 80 ° C. Some people use special dryers or microwave ovens. Store dry peels in a glass jar or tissue bags in a dark place.
- Candied fruit. Orange peels, peeled and cut into small strips, are poured with water and brought to a boil, then the liquid is drained. This procedure is repeated twice. Sugar syrup is prepared from equal parts of water and sugar in a separate saucepan. When the sugar dissolves, the crusts are poured into the syrup. The ingredients are cooked over low heat for about an hour. Then they are thrown into a colander, allowed to drain and laid out in one layer on a baking sheet. When the candied fruits are dry, they are transferred to a jar.
This product has contraindications:
- diseases of the stomach and intestines during an exacerbation;
- allergy to citrus fruits;
- tendency to allergic reactions;
It is interesting:
Orange peel is a useful product that has found application in many areas. It is a part of folk medicines and cosmetics, is used as ingredients in various dishes, and helps in cleaning and gardening. Moreover, in dried form, they are no less useful than fresh.