Health benefits and harms of tangerines, energy value and rules of use
For those whose childhood was in the 70-90s, tangerines smell like New Year. Bright yellow, pimply, sweet and sour fruits with seeds inside were presented together with chocolates as part of a New Year's gift. The era of scarcity is long over: tangerines are on the shelves of modern stores and supermarkets all year round.
The article will tell you about the benefits and dangers of tangerines for the health of men, women and children, the daily allowance, calorie content and vitamin composition.
The content of the article
The chemical composition and properties of mandarin
Mandarin - a representative of the Rutov family, grows in countries with warm climates (Spain, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Abkhazia, in the south of Russia). The fruits are spherical, slightly flattened on both sides. The color ranges from yellow to deep orange, depending on the variety. For example, in yellow varieties, the peel is easy to peel, and the pulp consists of 10-11 slices. The peel contains essential oils that citrus owes its wonderful aroma.
The table shows the chemical composition of the product per 100 g.
|Mono- and disaccharides (sugars)
|max 100 g
|Saturated fatty acids
|max 18.7 g
|Omega-3 fatty acids
|from 0.9 to 3.7 g
|Omega-6 fatty acids
|4.7 to 16.8 g
Nutritional value of 100 g of product without peel:
- calorie content - 38 kcal;
- proteins - 0.8 g;
- fats - 0.2 g;
- carbohydrates - 7.5 g;
- organic acids - 1.1 g;
- fiber - 1.9 g;
- water - 88 g;
- ash - 0.5 g.
How many calories are in 1 piece? The weight of one tangerine varies depending on the variety. The mass of one large citrus without peel is about 100 g. To calculate the calorie content of a product, a simple formula is used: x = product weight * product calorie content / 100.
Example for 1 tangerine weighing 80 g:
- 100 g - 38 kcal;
- 80 g - x kcal;
- x = 80 * 38/100;
- x = 30.4 kcal.
Mandarins are included in the group of foods with a low glycemic index. GI indicator - 40 units. This means that citrus is allowed to be consumed by people with diabetes in moderation. The product does not cause a sharp rise in blood sugar and provides a feeling of fullness for a long time.
Benefits for the body
The general benefits of tangerines for the human body:
- Antioxidants and vitamin C eliminate inflammation, prevent the formation of free radicals that cause oxidative processes.
- Essential oils soothe the nervous system, reduce anxiety, nausea, headache, and normalize sleep. In Minnesota hospitals, doctors installed aromatherapy lamps in wards. The result of the experiment was pleasantly surprised - the condition of the patients improved significantly, anxiety and anxiety went away.
- Mandarin has antibacterial properties and reduces microbial activity.
- Citrus promotes the formation of anticancer agents and helps fight cancer.
- Pectin and hemicellulose regulate blood cholesterol levels, promote the elimination of "bad" cholesterol and increase the level of "good".
- Fiber normalizes digestion and stool, regulates bowel function, heals wounds and erosion in the stomach, and reduces gas formation.
- Regular consumption of tangerines prevents the development of stroke and heart muscle cancer.
- Citrus inhibits the development of sepsis with essential oils that kill bacteria.
- Mandarins accelerate cell renewal and reproduction of new ones.
- The product removes uric acid, salt and harmful substances from the body.
- Mandarin essential oil relieves spasms of the respiratory system, prevents the development of asthma.
- Fruits contain lutein - the visual pigment in our eyes. Without it, we would not be able to distinguish details. It maintains and improves visual acuity, prevents retinal degeneration.
Tangerines normalize the menstrual cycle, eliminate smooth muscle spasm, and alleviate the condition of women with menopause. Citrus restores vitality, gives a boost of energy, prevents the development of depression.
During the period of gestation, it is useful to consume a small amount of tangerines (1-2 pcs. Per day). This helps to eliminate toxicosis, swelling tissues, prevent the appearance of stretch marks on the skin.
Essential oil cleanses the skin, brightens acne, reduces scars and stretch marks. The delicate texture does not irritate the skin, prevents the development of bacterial and fungal infections. The oil is not used in its pure form, but is mixed with almond or peach oil.
With the regular use of tangerines, skin color improves, acne and inflammation on the face disappear, elasticity increases and the network of small wrinkles decreases.
Vitamin C slows down the aging process of the skin, protects against the harmful effects of the environment, and promotes the production of collagen.
Vitamins A and B12 help to strengthen the hair follicle and reduce the secretion of sebum, slow down the process of gray hair. Hair will stay fresh longer, become manageable and shiny.
Mandarins have a positive effect on potency, increase the percentage of viable spermatozoa, and enhance libido. Regular consumption of citrus fruits increases endurance, which is especially important with increased physical activity.
Mandarin contains the least amount of vitamins and minerals compared to other citrus fruits, but this does not make it a useless product. Children adore full-time slices with a pleasant sweet and sour taste. Mandarin stimulates the digestive function of a growing body, increases appetite, eliminates diarrhea and relieves bronchitis.
Mandarin is considered one of the strongest allergenic foods, so it is introduced into the children's diet gradually and very carefully. Pediatricians recommend starting acquaintance with citrus after a year of a baby's life. Children suffering from allergic diseases are given tangerines after 3 years, I start with 1-2 slices.
One-year-old children are given tangerine juice diluted with water 1: 1. Start with 1 tsp. and gradually bring the portion to 100 ml.
Harm and contraindications
Contraindications to the use of the product:
- disorders of the liver (hepatitis) and kidneys (nephritis, cholecystitis);
- inflammatory processes in the intestines;
- pathology of the gastrointestinal tract;
- children's age is less than 1 year;
- gastritis with high acidity;
Excessive consumption of citrus fruits causes hypervitaminosis. Many vitamins are not able to accumulate, and the body does not have time to break down a large flow of nutrients. The result is a rash, indigestion, and low hemoglobin.
In what quantity and form to use tangerines
The specific daily intake of tangerines has not been established. However, it is important to use common sense and not overeat. A healthy person, without an allergy to citrus fruits, can eat about 500 g of the product, on average - 3-5 pieces.
Before eating, it is advisable to wash the fruits with warm water and wipe with a waffle towel. Carriers often treat them with chemicals to enhance product safety, as evidenced by glossy, waxy sheen and stickiness.
Citrus fruits are best consumed fresh to get the most benefit. Cook from fresh fruits, add to salads, mix with natural yoghurts and cottage cheese. Canned wedges in sugar syrup are on sale. Such a product does not carry any benefit, and the calorie content and sugar content is off scale.
Reference. In Russia, the Abkhaz tangerines are considered the most environmentally friendly. They are less treated with chemicals for better preservation. Their skin is bright yellow, the pulp is juicy, sweet and sour, almost pitted.
Tangerines are consumed fresh, put in fruit, vegetable and meat salads. Decorate cakes, prepare open sweet pies from shortbread or biscuit dough. The skin and pulp are used to make candied fruits, jams, jellies. The zest is brewed with green and black tea, ground into flour and used as a seasoning for baked goods and poultry.
In folk medicine
Most popular applications:
- Essential oil from the peel of tangerines is used for massage. It is mixed with any oil base. Rubbing with fragrant oil helps to reduce the appearance of cellulite, inflammation in the muscles, replenish energy and eliminate headaches.
- Naturopaths advise adding tangerine zest in tea to eliminate nausea with toxicosis.
- Ascorbic acid and phytoncides increase the body's defenses, increase its resistance to viruses and bacteria. The pulp contains phenolic acids and synephrine. They contribute to the removal of mucus and lungs and bronchi, excess fluid from tissues, facilitate cough and speed up the healing process.
- To eliminate indigestion and constipation, it is recommended to drink a glass in the morning on an empty stomach tangerine fresh.
- Decoction of zest helps to cure tracheitis and bronchitis.
- Fresh juice used as an adjuvant in the treatment of fungal infections of the skin and nails. The juice is applied to the affected area with rubbing movements.
Official medicine allows the use of mandarin-based syrups for the treatment of ARVI. Zest is included in some medicines to improve the taste. Citrus-based preparations are used to treat gout and eliminate edema in combination with essential medicines.
How to choose and store
The rules for choosing a fruit with excellent taste:
- Give preference to weighty fruits - the more weight, the juicier the pulp.
- The sweetest tangerines have a bright orange, dense skin and weigh more than the sour ones. These fruits contain the maximum amount of vitamin A.
- The skin should be free of mold, soft spots and dents. Their presence indicates a violation of the rules of storage and transportation.
- Flattened large-fruited fruits with a yellow skin, often sour.
- Press with your fingernail on the skin - if juice splashed, then the fruit is ripe.
- Store tangerines in the refrigerator after purchase. There, they remain fresh for more than a week. Rinse them with lukewarm water, wipe dry with a waffle towel and store.
- Tangerines are best stored in high humidity conditions. Place fruits in the fruit and vegetable compartment.
- A plastic bag is not the best option for keeping food fresh. Replace it with regular mesh. Most often, prepackaged tangerines are sold in them.
- To increase shelf life, rub the fruit with refined sunflower oil.
- Ponytail tangerines stay fresh longer.
It is interesting:
Tangerines are just as popular as other citrus fruits. A special excitement in stores is observed on the eve of the New Year holidays, and it is not surprising - the tangerine season lasts from November to January.
Fruits contain a large amount of ascorbic acid, the main amount of which is concentrated in the peel, vitamins A, E, potassium, calcium, silicon and other useful substances. Essential oil is extracted from the peel and used in folk medicine for rubbing and massage, aromatherapy. The zest is brewed with black and green tea, delicious fresh juice, salads and pie fillings are prepared from the pulp.